CO2 filling from bad source??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I normally swap tanks at a legit gas service..... but, recently my friend had 2 tanks "filled" from what he said was a craft beer shop. Turns out it was some "Latin" market. I used this "gas" to carb up 3 different IPA batchs (3 5 gal kegs) and all 3 turned out crap. No aroma 8 days after dry hopping (inside the keg).

I am convinced this was "bad" Co2 possibly mixed with oxygen somehow. Not really sure.

Perfect fermentation.... closed transfers to the kegs. Uggg

Anyone have a similar experience?

Don't know, however it's just might be something else and you're just grabbing at the thing that's different.

In the past my googling has turned up that there is a thing called Beverage grade CO2 and it's actually more pure than Food Grade CO2. And according to this article, Food Grade CO2 isn't meant for human consumption.

https://www.co2meter.com/blogs/news/co2-purity-grade-oxygen-purity-grade-charts
Though many here say CO2 is CO2, I'm not too convinced of that. Because all of the info on the web seems to say otherwise.

We even had one of the largest natural sources for CO2 right next to where I live, but it became contaminated a few years ago and can no longer be used for Beverage Grade or Food Grade CO2. However it's impact on the Beer Industry is said to be minimal as their sources of CO2 are typically manufactured CO2 by various processes.

https://www.probrewer.com/beverage-...dustry-news/co2-shortage-continues-to-bubble/

^ Yeah my normal gas service uses "beverage grade" CO2........... The other 2 they have is for welding and healthcare. Not sure what exactly the differences are. but they have 3 catagories.

The Latin market, who know wtf they are doing...

Back