WTF is this stuff on my filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarthBound

Reaction score
I currently use only pellet hops, but I'll probably start additionally using whole hops soon. To filter the hops, I built a filter that I debuted in some old filter thread. I've used this hop taco/stopper/filter/thing for a few brews with great success. The hops always come right off it when I blast it with my hose. After the last batch, the hops came off like usual, but this layer of stuff was caked on.

PB270017.jpg

I believe it to be a result of recirculation because I had not recirculated before this batch. I recirculated the boiling wort through my CFC for the last 10 minutes of the boil to sanitize the CFC. After killing the heat, I stopped the wort flow, turned on the cooling water, and collected the cooled wort. Here's how I would sanitize it before: Run boiling hot wort through it into a bucket, stop the wort flow, toss out that first bit of wort that came out, turn on the cooling water, and collect the cooled wort. I plan to sanitize it this way again on my next batch to see if recirculation is the culprit.

Here's my question: WTF is this stuff that is caked onto my filter? Is it coldbreak? I would think not because I didn't turn on the cooling water at all while it was recirculating. Is it hot break? I would think not because it has never stuck to the filter before.

looks like the hot break I always get on my bazooka T after recirculating. PBW or oxyclean helps get the rest off after some scrubbing.

OK, so I guess it's gotta be cold break or hot break because it was not hops. It must be some kind of film that built up over time.

I'm not sure what the temperature of it was when it was coming back into the BK at first, but I'm sure it got to boiling temperatures really quick. I wouldn't think it would create much cold break in that short amount of time, but I guess it might've created enough to form a film and clog the filter. I have to assume it's cold break.

I still don't think it was hot break because the last few times I used this filter, the hot break and hops always came right off when I blasted it with the hose. The only thing I did different this last batch was recirculate in the way I described earlier.

I'm still pretty sure it's hot break...I recirc to sanitize my plate chiller and I have to be really careful about restricting the flow so I don't clog my filter up with hot break. Once it builds up, it's a bit stubborn about coming off. And what I get is exactly as you describe.

I think the recirc makes such a big difference because once the boil stops, most of it settles out and doesn't get pulled in nearly as easy.

For reference, my kettle is generally about 190 during the entire chilling process, so I'm pretty sure it's not cold break

I'm still pretty sure it's hot break...I recirc to sanitize my plate chiller and I have to be really careful about restricting the flow so I don't clog my filter up with hot break. Once it builds up, it's a bit stubborn about coming off. And what I get is exactly as you describe.

I think the recirc makes such a big difference because once the boil stops, most of it settles out and doesn't get pulled in nearly as easy.

For reference, my kettle is generally about 190 during the entire chilling process, so I'm pretty sure it's not cold break

Perhaps you are correct. What you said makes sense, and it doesn't make sense that it's cold break because I didn't have the coolant water running during the recirculation. I'm still not sure. When I am sure, I'll post the results.

BTW, I asked the hopstopper guy about this:

Me: I did recirculate for the last 10 minutes of the boil to sanitize the cfc, but the cooling water was not running. Do you think cold break could have formed?

Him: I doubt if any appreciable cold break formed since the chill water was not running, however, I think any kind of recirculation can be a problem. Adding a portion of your hop bill as whole hops can be helpful.

Latest posts

Back