• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Grain Mill motor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try a harbor freight low speed drill. Cheap and effective. Lots of nanos use it.

Mounted Monster Mill MM2.0_1200.jpg

This is the one, it's on an MM2. That's the version with the "speed adjuster" wheel inside the trigger. Works just like a motor, hands free.
Sure you can go fancier, just not for $50.

View attachment 633978

This is the one, it's on an MM2. That's the version with the "speed adjuster" wheel inside the trigger. Works just like a motor, hands free.

Might just do that.

Checked out harbor freight and they've got a good coupon right now too. Also only about a million drills. Any chance you can post a link? They've got a hammer drill, (works as non hammer as well) that I've been needing for some house work. Wife might not even count it as a beer buy.

Think this would work?

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-heavy-duty-variable-speed-reversible-hammer-drill-62383.html

Last edited:
No. Just get yourself a large hose clamp that has the butterfly tightener vs the regular hex/phillips/flat head for screwdrivers. Itll keep it going if you have the wheel to set speed. Ours doesn’t, so speed control is by trigger pressure. Wrap it around trigger to get it going. Then you just dial it in to your preferred speed and it stays there.

Like this but bigger. I think they have a 3incher.

https://morebeerpro.com/products/ss-clamp-thumb-screw-1220-mm-green.html

Might just do that. Does it have a trigger lock or sonething?
Mine does, it's on the right hand side, on the "bottom" here, out of view. They may not make those anymore. There were/are at least 2 very similar models, differing only how the trigger is configured, from what I gather.

I like the adjuster wheel as I can click it one or 2 notches up or down to fine tune the speed. 150 rpm seems to be the target for 1.5" rollers. I probably mill a little lower than that.

Only once in a while I need to use the drill for other purposes, so it remains pretty much permanently attached to the mill year round.

Yeah, I saw that but if a drill works just as good for 100 dollars less, why get a motor.

Looks like the only "low speed" drill in harbor freight is in store only. The hammer drill I posted says it can go 0-2800 and looks like it has the same adjuster wheel. I dunno?

Motor runs at a constant speed. Motor RPM is suited for the mill. LoveJoys are included.

Drill is variable unless the drill allows locking in the speed. Also, how to know the drill RPM? Some recommend Harbor Freight. Ah... you get what you pay for there.

MoreBeer is giving $25 off for the 4th of July. Purchase the motor for the MM3 at a discount. Use code SAVE25

http://www.morebeer.com/products/malt-muncher-grain-mill-high-torque-motor.html
Just beware, the Lovejoy coupler included with MoreBeer motor is 10 or 12 mm, not 1/2":
The 12mm coupler won't fit the 1/2" mill shaft. I recommend getting Lovejoy coupler 12mm for the motor side and 1/2" for the mill side. Lovejoy size L070 item #'s 10421 & 41454 with spider 10406.

I'd probably get the Aleworks if I wanted to buy a motor.

I've had my mill for a while. It's the MM3 half inch version. Just got the hopper extender last night with my morebeer order.

I've been using a battery drill with ut for the past 4 years. Figured it was time for an upgrade.

Reading the reviews on morebeer, it looks like I'd have to buy additional Lovejoy couplers. The ones that come with it are not the best.

Yeah, I'd love an aleworks motor. Price is a factor though.

View attachment 633978

yep.
The bigger one they carry.
I got the regular one and it starts smoking really bad after 5 mins. of continuous grinding.

It might, but it's not a low speed drill, which is better for the milling job.
The only reason for milling at low speeds is the reduction of husk shredding, which may be a moot issue.
IIRC, the linear milling speed should be somewhere in the 12-15 inch/second range, can't seem to locate a link to that. A 1.5" roller mill at 150 rpm comes in at around 12"/sec.
I like the adjuster wheel as I can click it one or 2 notches up or down to fine tune the speed. 150 rpm seems to be the target for 1.5" rollers. I probably mill a little lower than that.
For clarity, the adjuster wheel is an indirect speed control, more of a limiter. It restricts how far you can pull the actual speed trigger.
yep.
The bigger one they carry.
I got the regular one and it starts smoking really bad after 5 mins. of continuous grinding.
Ouch!
I ruined one of their cheap rechargeable drills when drilling a 2 1/4" deadbolt lock hole through a steel clad door. That was before I bought that heavy, heavy duty low speed drill monster. :tank:

It's all about torque, not speed.

The spade handle drill looks very similar. Not 100% sure, but specs seem similar.

Ours has milled hundreds of barrels worth of grain with no issues. Just keep the dust off of it.

We set it as slow as it will go until it stalls, then give the thumb turn a full twist. Runs and runs runs.

Didn't see it above - how much grain at a time are you milling? If you're only milling 10-12 pounds I wouldn't hesitate to just use a 1/2" drill. If you're doing much bigger batches I wouldn't go the cheap 1/2" drill route. You need to mill fairly slow and at that rate I suspect you're going to burn the drill out. I have an older model Aleworks motor and it'll run my MM3 as long as I need it to and never even gets warm. Yes, it's a financial commitment but if you burn a drill or two out and then end up needing to buy one anyhow...

My $0.02

Didn't see it above - how much grain at a time are you milling? If you're only milling 10-12 pounds I wouldn't hesitate to just use a 1/2" drill. If you're doing much bigger batches I wouldn't go the cheap 1/2" drill route. You need to mill fairly slow and at that rate I suspect you're going to burn the drill out. I have an older model Aleworks motor and it'll run my MM3 as long as I need it to and never even gets warm. Yes, it's a financial commitment but if you burn a drill or two out and then end up needing to buy one anyhow...

My $0.02

cheapie drill will work for about 16 lbs IF my HBS crushes it first and i'm giving it a finer grind for my BIAB.

but whole grains?
nope. smoke city.

I have a big ole silver steel cased 3/4" drill from craigs list now.
It runs slow but powers through everything and will go through pressure treated 4x4 like butter also. :)

I wanted to purchase the AleWorks motor, but I just could not justify the cost.

Please note the MM2/MM3 motor sold by MB and Williams doesn't properly line up with the mill shaft. Isn't good being off on these things as it might cause either the mill to malfunction or cause the motor to prematurely wear out, cause lovejoy slipping or worse.

I mitigated by using a scrap piece of wood. Probably began life as a 2x6, but in reality, as most know, the wood dries over time and the size is smaller than the advertised size. Actual size is approximately 1 7/16" high and 5 7/16" wide. The motor shaft sat 5mm higher than the mill shaft. So, I set my table saw at 5mm and carefully cut off 2 1/2" from 1 end (with the table saw set at 5mm) of the 8" long piece of 2x6. Motor mount sits in the 5mm cut out and the shafts line up perfectly.

Now, simply need to drill holes in the 2x6 for mounting the motor and mounting the 2x6 onto the mill base, sand the 2x6 piece of wood and seal the 2x6.

Actually doing was much simpler than describing. If needed, I can post photos.

Last edited:
FWIW... I got the MM3 and also a Harbor Freight "Paddle" handle drill (I think they show it being used to mix paint on the box).
Agree with Tobor above- you have to rig up a platform for the drill to rest on.
Because the drill has screw holes on each side for a handle, I was able to screw it into some wood to secure it. I then wired it up to a chaepo dimer switch. It does NOT look pretty- but it works for about $60 out the door.
Note- as much as I could find, you want the RPM's around 150 to 200 on the drill for best crush. Therefore, look for the LOWEST RPM setting you can find- it gives you much more "play" in the RPM if you use the trigger.

For mine, I zip-tied the trigger to full on, and use the dimmer switch- because you want a little slower RPM when the grain first "catches" in the mill, then speed it up just a tad once you have the rollers going. I can just dial up or down the speed as needed.

I do 5 gallon batches, so I do about 15 pounds or so. I would not trust this set-up, or the trust the drill to not to overheat or catch enough dust to spark a fire, past sat 30 pounds or so- i.e. 10 gallons at a time.

Also- IMHO, if you ARE going to mill for that much beer, isn't it worth the $200 for a better mill & couplers? See William's- flat rate shipping in US of about $10 or less usually.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Triple-Roller-Grain-Mill-Motorizing-Kit-P4173.aspx

Ended up buying the mill motor off morebeer.com when they had their 25 dollar off sale. Got it all set up and ready for brew day tomorrow.

Back