• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: 20 or 15 gallon kettle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have you checked out the 25G megapots (update international) for 219-230 shipped? I have two for my HLT and BK. Sturdy build and very well priced IMO

25 gallon is perfect for boil over protection on 10g batches. I do 11g batches and have almost had a boil over in my kettle when I left the lid on coming up to boil.

It also makes a great sized HLT due to the large volume, and thus a good herms candidate due to the large thermal mass.

I thought 25 might be crazy, but it is pretty ideal IMO. But YMMV

I have a 25BK / 20MT / 25HLT

I got ya. I too know the dangers of capping the kettle and walking away. I resolved to not leave the room after 200 degrees. Herms is out of the question for me. What are your preboil volumes? I boil 7.5 gallons in my 10 gal now with occasional boilovers moslty due to inatentiveness. If my boiloff/ losses are constant i should be aok with doing 13 or so in a 20 gal.

:D Yeah even the best of intentions... plus a beer or two have caused me to forget watching at 200F+. For me I usually pull the lid at 206F.

Preboil volumes are a gallon per half hour. So for an 11G batch:

a. 60 minute boil = 13G preboil Volume
b. 90 minute boil = 14G preboil Volume

That is for a 100% manual mode boil on my electrical system with 5500W (so a good strong rolling boil). I have slowed that down my decreasing the heat applied. However getting a consistent boil volume is more important to me than saving .10 in electricity on a boil :D

Re: your question, do you mean 13G preboil volume? Or a 13G batch? (15-16G preboil for 60/90 boil times, respectively).

Basically the difference in the megapots in the 20 - 25 gallon pot is the 20 is 16 tall by 20 wide and the 25 is 20 tall by 20 wide. So a little less than an inch (.8) in wall height = 1g

If you watch it with a spray bottle handy you should be fine for a 13g preboil vol (gives you about 5.6 inches of wall to the top of the pot (for preboil volume of 15-16 gallon it gets a little tighter at 4-3.2 inhces of wall height). Not sure if you use an immersion chiller (I do), so that may factor in as well. Obviously the 25G gives 9.6''.

Thats what im thinking. I meant a 13 gall preboil. Gotta consider boil vigor as well. I dont know how 5500 w compares to a propane burner but i might not be hitting it quite as hard as you.

Yeah 13 preboil should be pretty comfortable. But the one thing to keep in mind is the foot print is the same, the wall just gets higher (that is why I stepped up one more size).

And of course I have this cray idea that at some point I might do a 16 gallon batch of lager and ferment/keg it in a sanke for the lagering phase. So that means I would need to have 19G preboil... So you see where crazy starts to creep in. Granted that will likely happen once a year haha.

Back