wrong malt... brew anyway??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasp

Reaction score
just got home from the brew store ready to give a milk stout a shoot.
i picked up golden light DME instead of extra light(didnt double check, grr)
do i need to go back?
or would this work out for me?
thanks...
grr

It will be fine. A little darker (on your stout which is likely black anyway :)) and a little more flavor (which will likely be very much overpowered by roast malts :)).

I would say you are totally fine.

Thanks! I didn't think it would be too much of a big deal, but still new at this, and didn't wanna mess anything up!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

read somewhere, here on HBT most likely, that you should use the lightest extract available and use specialty grains for your color because there's more turnover with the lightest extract so it is usually fresher.

not saying what you picked up is not fresh, or wouldn't make an awesome beer, just thought that was good advice

I'll keep that in mind for sure.

I understand that extra light is a pilsen base and that golden light is a pale malt base. I could be wrong here.

The different base malts yield different flavors, but they still make beer. You may want to make a batch with the stuff you already have and then another batch with the intended recipe to see which one you like.

It will be fine. A little darker (on your stout which is likely black anyway :)) and a little more flavor (which will likely be very much overpowered by roast malts :)).

I would say you are totally fine.

I agree with this 100%. Of all the things that can go wrong, this would be the least of my worries for a stout.

Don't forget to write down what you did with it. So if it turns out great, you can repeat it:D

Also, the extra light LMEs are slightly less fermentable than "golden" or regular "light" versions (Per MoreBeer's site). I would posit that you in fact made the right choice for a stout. No reason to get the extra light stuff unless you're making an extra light beer.

Here is their link for Pale Malt Extract (not the ultralight) http://morebeer.com/products/pale-malt-extract.html

In the description it says: "The fermentability is slightly higher than our Ultralight Malt Extract so if you prefer a drier beer this could be the perfect choice."

Thanks everyone! I love this place. You guys are great!
And I always take notes, as much as I can!

Back