Wpl001 @ 64 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liebertron

Reaction score
My basement is the only place I can store beer. Tonight is chilly and the basement is running at 58 degrees. I have the primary wrapped in a blanket at 64 degrees. Anyone think this could be a prob? Nothing I can really do, had a healthy yeast starter so the yeast are at full blast. About 7 days into ferm. Thoughts?

If you could lift the fermentor off the floor (like on a chair) it might keep it a bit warmer. The ground tends to be colder than the air.

My basement is the only place I can store beer. Tonight is chilly and the basement is running at 58 degrees. I have the primary wrapped in a blanket at 64 degrees. Anyone think this could be a prob? Nothing I can really do, had a healthy yeast starter so the yeast are at full blast. About 7 days into ferm. Thoughts?

That sounds like a problem that most guys/girls on here would love to have. A fermenter holding steady at 64? Yes, please.

Yeah, you're fine. In one of his BN interviews, chris white says as long as the yeast are fermenting they're not too cold. :D

metal850 said:
If you could lift the fermentor off the floor (like on a chair) it might keep it a bit warmer. The ground tends to be colder than the air.

First rule of backpacking is to stay off the ground when cold. Have it on a mat :)

Sounds good guys! Thanks for the help.

i just used WLP001 in my dead man clone at 64F all the way. I had no problems...fermentation for about a week and a half with a blow off tube. From what I read this yeast does better at a lower temp.

I wouldn't even wrap the fermenter... I keep most ales below 64 for the first 3-4 days of primary, after that I let them free rise to room temp or higher to attenuate fully and clean up.

yeah, no issues there, that yeast'll work fine down to the high 50's, 64's pretty much perfect for it.

FWIW, i've done a lot of ales at or below 60 degrees, and have liked the results. i did a li'l write up here if you're interested.

Latest posts

Back