wow did a google search for info about how to increase the proof of hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPNpro

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone that has ever posted here has read the forum rules...sure they have. This is the internet. People can create an account from anywhere in the world..last I heard there's a thing called freedom of speech. Discussion about distillation is not equivalent to breaking the law. The response I received to my question was plain old inconsiderate and downright disrespectful. Especially coming from a bunch of people that I thought enjoyed making ALCOHOLIC beverages..geez...excuse me for having a question.

This is a beer forum. It's a privately run forum that requires a login and you're agreement to follow the rules of the forum. I'm sure there's a forum out there that discusses distillation. Just go there and ask your questions. You can't do it here. I don't think it's that big of a deal. You'd get the same response if you asked about distillation on a knitting forum, right?

Rules are pretty clear. Nothing inconsiderate or disrespectful about it. Discussion of distillation is prohibited. Period. If you don't like it, move on to a different forum.

Hmm.

But to the OP, the rules that few read, are fairly clear about discussing distillation. The fact is, it's illegal in certain parts and I believe that since the forum owner appears to be American, they have opted not to allow it to be discussed openly here.

Here's more on it:
http://homedistiller.org/intro/legal

The way I have seen it explained is HBT not wanting to be liable for any prosecution from anyone who gets themselves into trouble due to advice on here. It sounds stupid... but stupider lawsuits have happened :D

OP - Just read your thread you are reffering to https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/has-anyone-tried-distill-their-applejack-447484/
The worst reply was someone asking if you were trolling as you had only 1 other post before your question. If you post somehitng that is against the forum rules without reading them - don't get upset when someone tells you that you can't. You have decided to participate on this forum, but you have to follow the rules. If you don't want to nobody is making you stay here.
I'm sure most people haven't read the rules - but most wouldn't get upset if they were told to stop doing something because it is not allowed.

..last I heard there's a thing called freedom of speech.

You may want to check the Constitution again before you invoke it in an argument.

Bill Of Rights said:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Surprisingly little in there about privately run internet forums.

They funny thing is, he didn't break the rules. He said "distill" sure, but freeze distillation clearly isn't what the rule is about.

They funny thing is, he didn't break the rules. He said "distill" sure, but freeze distillation clearly isn't what the rule is about.

In the linked post he referenced heads and tails. That's not freeze concentration. Its clear what he's talking about.

This is open and shut. I'm guessing this thread gets locked when a mod sees it and if the OP keeps pushing it probably gets the banhammer.

In the linked post he referenced heads and tails. That's not freeze concentration. Its clear what he's talking about.

This is open and shut. I'm guessing this thread gets locked when a mod sees it and if the OP keeps pushing it probably gets the banhammer.

I re-read his original post, I see now.

Dude, don't be so touchy. I was being facetious in my post in your other thread, which I think most picked up on, and you are a bit defensive about this and a bit touchy..

Freedom of speech absolutely protects him from saying what he wants, unless of course it involves threats, slander, or libel. But, it can't prevent someone from also exercising that same freedom in their responses. It can't prevent a ban on a private forum of being refused service in any private business.

You need to relax and have a home brew brotha! Oh and, as a general rule of thumb.. On any forum.. If you ask something that could be avoided by using google or the search tool on said forum, people might give you a hard time about it. It's nothing personal and responding to that slight razzing maturely goes a long way.

I just read it again and all I can say is that; furthermore, I actually gave you some hints/advice as to what you were asking, which was more than anyone else. Lastly, joking and asking about an alt account or the post being a joke was legit based on the circumstances.

1. Everyone knows distillation is illegal at home and 2. I know for a fact that not only do most google searches repeatedly discuss it being illegal when this question is asked, but also it has been asked here before and the posts from here are most likely the top ones on Google anyway. Clicking them would reveal, within reading one or two of them that the mods take this very seriously and close threads. Maybe they ban people, idk.

Sorry for the rant, I felt I needed to defend myself. I didn't really thought my first response in the original thread would be taken more civilly.

I just read it again and all I can say is that; furthermore, I actually gave you some hints/advice as to what you were asking, which was more than anyone else. Lastly, joking and asking about an alt account or the post being a joke was legit based on the circumstances.

1. Everyone knows distillation is illegal at home and 2. I know for a fact that not only do most google searches repeatedly discuss it being illegal when this question is asked, but also it has been asked here before and the posts from here are most likely the top ones on Google anyway. Clicking them would reveal, within reading one or two of them that the mods take this very seriously and close threads. Maybe they ban people, idk.

Sorry for the rant, I felt I needed to defend myself. I didn't really thought my first response in the original thread would be taken more civilly.

I actually had no clue it was illegal until I started researching how to do it. Found a website with good instructions and a disclaimer showing the laws for many countries.

last I heard there's a thing called freedom of speech.

Yup. There is also a thing called private ownership.

TxBrew owns the forum. We're all guests at his "house" in a manor of speaking. He has the right to set any limits he likes, and you have the right to go post what you like somewhere else if you don't like his rules.

In other words, feel free to do another google search and find another forum if you are so butt hurt over the whole affair.

Lol. Just out of curiosity, would there be heads and tails when freeze concentrating?

On another cider forum I asked this question and got no response, I am discussing freeze concentrating. If it is legal to remove the ice from an alcoholic beverage to make a ice beer or ice wine to increase it's proof, what is the issue about freezing deeper and pouring the alcohol out of the ice? Isn't the end game the same? Well one way might give you 6-7% ABV (removing ice) and up to 100 proof by leaving the ice behind. I really don't get it. I am not using heat to vaporize alcohol into it's component parts, I am using the cold to make "brandy" by a method of freezing instead of heating.

Back