Would you use this starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
I made a qt. starter Sat. morning with some first gen. WLP300 I washed in May or June. I've used other cans from this batch of yeast twice last summer, and have had good results. The only difference this time was 1) I was around for two days straight, so shook it up much more than before and 2) it was much older.

This time it took until this morning for some wisps of krausen to form. Before it was climbing the sides of my jug in about 24 hours. When I got home from work I had a thin layer of foam coating the top.

I realize that the time didn't do the yeast any good, but would anyone else brew tonight and pitch this starter? FWIW, there does appear to be more sediment on the bottom than yesterday.

Ended up using it last night. Activity had ended and I had a good 1/4" of slurry on the bottom of my gallon jug. I pitched at 7:30 last night and fermentation had begun this morning(layer of foam). As we speak I have a solid two inches of krausen and it's violent inside. The airlock smells like bananna bread. All seems good.

Back