Would you trust this starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agate

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a starter a couple of weeks ago of wyeast 1335 for a lagunitas clone. The smack pack sat in a delivery truck over a long weekend, so needless to say was quite warm when it arrived, although it looked intact. I didn't get any hint of activity for 3 or 4 days, when there was just the slightest change in the water level in the airlock.

On day 5, I was getting a bubble every 30 seconds or so, and I checked a sample on my refractometer, with no sign of a change in gravity. Also, the sample tasted quite tart. I abandoned the starter and used dry yeast on brew day, and left the starter alone to see what would happen.

About day 6 or 7 there was still some airlock activity, but when I swirled it the smell was actually quite bad, so I kind of gave up on it and forgot about it for another week. So when I went to dump it tonight, I gave it another swirl just for grins, but now it actually smells good, with a nice healthy yeasty aroma. So what now? Do I trust it, or just let this one go to make sure I don't ruin an otherwise good batch later?

? Thanks for your feedback!

Try it with a 1 gallon batch. Worst case you dump it, best case you have a great healthy supply of yeast

Yeah, I'm thinking about making a 2 1/2 gallon batch of dry stout or oatmeal stout... Something simple and pretty cheap. I was ready to dump it, and it caught me by surprise when it actually smelled good. Hate to waste good yeast if it's ok.

Back