Would you repitch smelly WLP300?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalker1140

Reaction score
I started a Bavarian Hefeweizen two days ago and this morning the yeast is throwing off a strong sulfur smell. I'm not concerned about this batch because I've had this happen before and the beers have all come out great.

What I'm concerned about is my plan to repitch some of this yeast into a dunkleweizen. I've never repitched from a smelly batch before. Has anyone had experience doing this? The fermentation is going great otherwise.

Fwiw, I deliberately underpitched (1 vial, no starter) at 64F and gradually raised to 68F over the course of two days.

I've repitched using wyeast 3068, which I believe is nearly the same thing. Those hefe yeasts just tend to give off a sulfur smell. I'm sure there are plenty of other threads around here discussing that smell.

As long as the initial beer turns out fine there should be no issue re-pitching.

Thanks for the replies. And yeah, I've read a bunch of threads about this but they mostly focus on whether the sulfur smell will eventually blow off and not specifically on whether the yeast is suitable to repitch. I've decided to repitch mine.

Update: after 8 hrs with the temp raised to 68F the sulfur smell is completely gone and it's smelling like nice banana bread. I checked my brewing notes and it seems like I've had the worst sulfur cases when I've fermented relatively cool (i.e., 62-66). My experience is leading me to think the sulfur smell may be caused by ferm temp, but who knows.

Latest posts

Back