Would this work for milling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use one and it does a good job. A little more work maybe than what Forrest from AHB has, but works.
There are several here that use them and have no regrets.
That said,
If I had the extra cash available, I would take the leap and get one from him. It's a good price for a really good mill.

If a Corona type mill like the one that Collegemachinist shwed gets Charlie Papazian 87% efficiency then pray tell, how is that any less of a "real thing?" :rolleyes:

87% seems pretty "real" to me.

When I see stuff like that I'm always reminded of what Graham Sanders of the Australian podcast Craftbrewer radio wrote about corona mills...

Corona mills have gotten a lot of bad press over the years, with claims that they are unsuitable for brewing as the give a very poor crush (i.e. tear the grains rather than squeezing them) leading to flavour and extraction problems. The claims have usually originated from either the manufacturers or owners of the more modern roller mills.

But before roller mills (such as the PhilMill, Valley mill and MaltMill) were available for small-scale brewer, Corona mills were the only ones available. Many brewing books had sections on using and adjusting a Corona type mill. Dave Miller's book from the late 80's had a whole chapter devoted to using and adjusting a Corona mill, and he is often quoted as obtaining extremely high extraction rates from the grain.

Collegemachinist, you will fina a lot of us use that style mill. Check out this thread for pics of setups and tips on tweaking it out. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

Since I am a dumba$$, what is the throughput of the Corona mill? Pounds per minute?

Since I am a dumba$$, what is the throughput of the Corona mill? Pounds per minute?

Just like the other mills it depends on your drill speed, and the speed at which you chose to run it, and whether or not you use a big hopper or not .

I've burned through 14 pounds of grain using a water bottle hopper, in only a few minutes, using a bad boy like this when I brought my gear and mill over to someone's how to teach them ag and used their high torque corded drill.

1782_product.jpg

And it's taken me longer using my puny battery drill. But not obscenely so.

sweet, now i have reason to actually do more PM and AG and buy in bulk without KILLING my checking account. time to go find me some material and a mill

REVVY.. I have a kitchen aide with a meat grinder that looks like the internals are the same as that mill.....could I use that to crush grains?

REVVY.. I have a kitchen aide with a meat grinder that looks like the internals are the same as that mill.....could I use that to crush grains?

I don't think a stand mixer meat grinder attachment is a good choice as it is an auger, blade and die (and even with the smallest die, the grain is smaller in diameter so the die is getting you nothing). The function of the corona mill is entirely different. The stand mixer flour mill attachments might be similar.

Also figure out if you have one of the KA mixers with a plastic gear box before you try to run 10 lbs of grain through it, that is unless you were looking for an excuse to replace it.

I would rather use a $20 drill to drive a $30 corona mill than to use a $300 drill to drive a $150 mill, even if I already owned the later two devices.

We get that question a lot, the pat answer is; do you really want to use a $450.00 Kitchenaide motor and a $150.00 grinder attachment on grinding your grain? Or even better, Do you think your wife would let you? ;)

So far, no one who has asked and who I have said that too has answered yes.

So I can't really answer your question because I have never met or talked to anyone who has actually done it.

It depends on the blade it has. A meat grinder has holes in a plate, a grain mill is flat with ridges that come off the center. I have an OLD meat grinder/grainmill that I can change the blades on so I can make sausage or mill my grains. Post a pic of the blades it has and you'll get a real answer.

Also, ask SWMBO if you can use it, or when she won't be home.

It depends on the blade it has. A meat grinder has holes in a plate, a grain mill is flat with ridges that come off the center. I have an OLD meat grinder/grainmill that I can change the blades on so I can make sausage or mill my grains. Post a pic of the blades it has and you'll get a real answer.

Also, ask SWMBO if you can use it, or when she won't be home.

There is a grain mill attachment for the kitchenade.

ka-grain-mill-01.gif

But it's spendy on an even spendier motor base.

What about a coffee grinder? An industrial one? maybe drill out the die so it doesnt pulverize. My BIL just texted me and said one of the convenience stores he works at is doing away with in house grinding...

What about a coffee grinder? An industrial one? maybe drill out the die so it doesnt pulverize. My BIL just texted me and said one of the convenience stores he works at is doing away with in house grinding...

If it's adjustable you could try it at it's course setting. I actually saw an industrial one at a junk store I thought about trying. I don't see why it wouldn't especially with some modding. If you can lay your hands on it, I would like to see you do a thread on working on it.

:mug:

The kitchen aide is MINE not the wifes.. I processed 5 deer last year using one that belonged to my mom...She bought me one as a gift and I havent even went hunting yet this year!

The kitchen aide is MINE not the wifes.. I processed 5 deer last year using one that belonged to my mom...She bought me one as a gift and I havent even went hunting yet this year!

Well if it can handle hardcore deer processing you might be the guy to tell us how successful it will be for a mill. Just take lots of pictures. Cool deal. :mug:

Well if it can handle hardcore deer processing you might be the guy to tell us how successful it will be for a mill. Just take lots of pictures. Cool deal. :mug:

hell you got me scared to death I'm gonna burn it up... All I have is a pound of two row and some roasted barley...might give it a go later.

hell you got me scared to death I'm gonna burn it up... All I have is a pound of two row and some roasted barley...might give it a go later.

Then it time for me to cover my a$$. ;)

All prior agreements, discussions, representations, warranties, and covenants are merged herein. There are no warranties, representations, covenants, or agreements, express or implied, between the parties set forth in this Discussion. Revvy is exempt from an liabilities and damages caused by any advice he gives. Any amendments or modifications of this agreement shall be in writing and executed by the contracting parties. This article is intended for reference only, not as legal advice, and that the author accepts no liability for the use of the same. Do not fold spindle or mutilate. Viewer discretion, is advised. :drunk:

well.......it worked....sort of. gotta add grain slowly and run the grinder pretty high. powdered some of the grain .......locked it up once.. BUT if I was in a total pinch and had time, I could see it working but not something I'd wanna do.

People are kinda bragging about how quickly they power through their grinds. It occurs to me that perhaps fast is not good in this situation. Just a hypothetical, but.... If you crush slower wouldn't you be giving the grain more time to yield before it split so that you might be able to use a tighter setting? Probably a 'hair splitter' at best.

A meat grinder is not a grain mill. The blades are very different. You could make beer from the grain that went through a meat grinder, but it wouldn't be the same as a beer you made from the grain you ground in a grain mill. Meat grinding is very different from grain milling! I have a grinder thing that does both, but the blades are very different.

I also use the same mill, from the same seller (Discount Tommy on eBay), and get excellent results. Lots of good ideas and tweaks on Revvy's "Ugly Junk" thread.

Back