Would it be relatively easy to turn this freezer into a fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

br3wme

Reaction score
Because the cooling lines are on the racks? I ruined an old refrigerator by trying to bend the cooling lines to accommodate a carboy and I don't want to do the same here!

Thinking about buying this off of craigslist to try. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Anything is appreciated. Thanks!

img1421877063541.jpg

I've successfully bent the cooling lines in my upright freezer to accommodate a carboy. It can be done. It's not pretty, but it can be done.

Another possibility is to build an insulated cabinet that extends the space of the freezer and then throw the original door onto the end of the new cabinet.

If the price is right, I'd say go for it. But if you're at all hesitant or if the price is a bit high, I'd say hold off and find something either with removable shelves, or a larger upright to hold more than one brew(If you can accommodate it)

Personally, I would probably just keep my eye on Craigslist for a little while longer until something with removable shelves comes along, or doing what LandoLincoln recommended above and building an extended cabinet.

If you have the space I would just get a chest freezer. Don't have to worry about bending anything. If you are just looking to control one carboy a 5 cubic ft freezer will do just fine.

I will say I went that route and it works great, but I just bought a 21 ft freezer so I can control at least 5 beers in the summer.

Latest posts

Back