Wort Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillieRivers

Reaction score
Brewed a batch of Red Ale and I chilled the Wort to low. I am at 60 degrees. Should I try and get the temp up before I pitch the yeast or will it just be slow to start if I pitch it now?

Thanks in advance
Bill

60 degrees isnt to severely low, so you could pitch the yeast, but it would be slow to start, and you risk shocking the yeast. ive done this before, and i just close it up, leave it at room temperature, leave the house so im not tempted to mess with it, and then 4 or 5 hours later pitch the yeast when the wort is to room temp.

bill, what yeast strain did u use? it may be at the lower temp range, so it may be a little sluggish to start, but will befine. it may produce less fruity like esthers when it finishes, but a good clean beer!

The brew is bubbling great. I will transfer it to the secondary tomorrow. Wednesday.. Thanks again for all the help..

Bill

hey, let that puppy ride out before you transfer. it will not hurt a thing.....
give us some tasting notes when it's done.

I would let it ride out the full week before racking to your secondary, especially if it is still bubbling at a noticeable clip.

Took yalls advise and let the brew stay a few days longer. We hit the keg last night and it came out great.. Thanks for all the help

Bill

Just in case anybody might be interested in this info, according to the yeast guide in the Jan-Feb issue of BYO Wyeast Ale strain 1056, the optimum temperature for this particular range is 60F to 72F.

Back