Wort sloshing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zGrubermeister

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing my first batch in my newly built e-kettle. I have a single heating element set up along the diameter of my kettle. I'm boiling 3 gallons of wort in a 6 gallon kettle. The boiling action is generating A LOT of side-to-side sloshing action. I have turned down my temperature controller to 210* so it kicks the boil on and off instead of 212* which I'm sure ill slosh wort out my kettle. Is the intermittent boil going to have an adverse affect on my beer?

Sloshing the boil around isn't going to cause any problems by itself, but the control of a boil kettle generally isn't done by monitoring temperatures because the temp of a nice rolling boil is the same as the temp of a violent boil over.

Instead, a manually adjusted intermittent on/off switching of the power to the kettle is how electric boils are maintained at an appropriate strength.

Some folks use a PID that has a manual mode for this, and others use a pulse width modulator. The end result is that you tell your element to be fully powered on (for example) only 80% of the time and the other 20% of the time the thing is 100% off.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I ended up doing the whole boil with my PID on auto mode with it set at 210* and I'm just hoping everything turned out all right. Set at 210* it boiled the water about for about 20 seconds and then it was off about 20-30 seconds before it came on a again.

The problem is my element is on too long. The PID lets the wort cool down to much before it kicks back on. I guess I need to increase its sensitivity so it kicks on more often to hold the temperature range tighter.

My other thought was some sort of baffle to impede the sloshing motion.

OK. You can set it in manual mode then, set the period of the thing for something like 5 seconds (or whatever you want) and tell the PID to have the element on for "whatever" % of that time.

That will give you the control you want on a boil kettle. You don't need to monitor the temp at all.

OK. You can set it in manual mode then, set the period of the thing for something like 5 seconds (or whatever you want) and tell the PID to have the element on for "whatever" % of that time.

That will give you the control you want on a boil kettle. You don't need to monitor the temp at all.

That sounds great. I was just doing some testing earlier with the PID in auto-mode. I was able to get the settings to a point where it held a boil better without it sloshing so much. What you described seems like it could work even better. I will give it a try next time I test.

On a side note, I am going to fabricate a grate to protect the grain bag from the heating element. I'm hoping the grate disrupts the bubbles from the boil enough to inhibit the sloshing motion.

Thanks for the help.

Back