Wort sat for 2 days before boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtodd22

Reaction score
Question for any seasoned pros out there.
I started an all-grain Sierra Nevada Celebration clone on Saturday and ran out of time towards the end of the process. As a result, I had 6 gallons of unboiled wort sitting in my kitchen (in the boil kettle covered with the lid) for two days.

I threw it on the burner tonight to start my 60 min boil.

I can't see why letting it sit a could days would be a problem but I'm wondering if anyone thinks it would be concerning.

Thoughts?

For the record, I'm relaxed, not worrying and having a HB as I type.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If your wort was up around 160 before you put the lid on, I'd think you pretty much pasteurized it and reduced any bacteria or foreign yeast load that could eat up your sugars.

Thanks for the input. Doubtful I was over 160 as I mashed at 154.

Fingers crossed, I guess! Would a below normal gravity reading indicate pesky yeasts eating some of the good stuff?

I have 10 mins left in the boil.

Cheers.

Exact same thing happened to me last weekend. I had the added bonus of having to put my kettle outside as the missus did not want a pot full of wort in the kitchen. Took a reading after the mash and before the boil (48 hours between the two) and the gravity hadn't changed. Even if beasties have started on the wort they're dead now and will just change the character a bit I suppose. If anything the whole experience has got me interested in trying a sour mash.

Thanks for the input. Doubtful I was over 160 as I mashed at 154.

Fingers crossed, I guess! Would a below normal gravity reading indicate pesky yeasts eating some of the good stuff?

I have 10 mins left in the boil.

Cheers.

Grab a sample and let it cool, then taste it. You should know if you had enough of a bacteria infection to change the taste. The boil would have killed any that had started so if it tastes good now, you're fine.

The boil will kill whatever may have taken hold. The main risk in doing this is a souring due to lactobacillus, perhaps not a bad thing as this is done on purpose with other styles...Berliner weisse beer I believe. The smell and taste would be apparent if you know what to look for...

I just did this 2 batches ago. Daddy duties called and I had to stop after the sparge. I only let it sit for about 15 or so hours but it was over night and into the next afternoon. I read that the wort could have soured but it tasted fine to me. I made a starter the day before I started too so that sat on the counter for 2 days as well. It took off like a rocket and I'm going to keg it on Thursday.

I think you'll be fine.

Thanks, all. Things seemed to go normally during/after the boil. The wort tasted normal to me so I think I'm in the clear!

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back