Wort rocking and a rolling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nmnbrewer

Reaction score
The last two batches that I've made have been 5 gallon. Something curious is happening as the wort comes up to boil. It begins a gradual rocking motion that picks up and then stays there the entire boil. It is on a wheeled stand but the wheels are locked so movement is very slight. It's almost as if it's being stirred while boiling. I do have element set to 90% during boil so it is very vigorous. It's not so much a problem as a curiosity. Do others experience this action?

If this wort's a rockin' don't come a knockin...

sounds like you're doin it right to me. you're brave to boil 5 gallons on a wheeled cart even with locked casters.

I've had a similar effect but it's confined to the sight glass on my boil kettle. Haven't had a ton of movement in the keggle itself. I'm no expert but 90% sounds pretty high for the boil? Are you using a 5500 watt element? I'm running a 4500 watt element and generally have mine at 60%, after the hot break. However, the vigorousness of a boil has always been somewhat of a mystery to me. I've never been able to find data driven reasons for any specific "level" of boil, doesn't mean it isn't out there though! I'll be curious to see what other's have to say.

Mine will do the same. After the hot break it rocks back and forth perpendicular to the heating element. I turn i down to 70-75% after the hot break. I notice it more on 5 gallon batches vs 10 gallon batches.

I do need to back off on the boil. I'm boiling off like 2 gal an hour. It's nice when I need it for sure.

I've had a similar effect but it's confined to the sight glass on my boil kettle. Haven't had a ton of movement in the keggle itself. I'm no expert but 90% sounds pretty high for the boil? Are you using a 5500 watt element? I'm running a 4500 watt element and generally have mine at 60%, after the hot break. However, the vigorousness of a boil has always been somewhat of a mystery to me. I've never been able to find data driven reasons for any specific "level" of boil, doesn't mean it isn't out there though! I'll be curious to see what other's have to say.
Check out this post for some reasons to limit boil-off.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back