Wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi i was just wondering the more i read the more confused i get i want to make a Wort chiller out of standard coper piping that you get from home depot or rona(canada's version of home depot) does standard coper have lead in it? if so why i thought coper piping is used for water pipe in houses why would it have lead in it if you drink water that comes from that pipe? anyway i hope some one can help me what do you think ? if there is anyone out there that can help please do so and i am sory if this topic has already been discused.

Just get the flexible copper pipe from Lowes or Home depot that is about 1/2" in diameter. I believe that it is used for refridgeration. There should not be any lead in the metal. Most houses here have all copper piping.

Yeah, I agree with anthrobe. I not a plumber so I don't know for certain, but if it had any significant amount of lead in it (i.e. - enough to be a health concern) I doubt it could be sold as "copper pipe" anyway.

AHU

ditto-I bought a 60' precut length all boxed up from Home Depot, fittings on the next aisle, and done!

Hopefully you can do better than mine.

chiller.jpg

:D

Wow is that one ugly chiller! But the damn thing works so cares. I agree you should market that thing, give it a good name!

There is no lead in copper piping or tubing. The problem comes from the lead-tin solder commonly used to join sections. If you use flare or compression fittings, you won't have a problem. Even if you solder the joints, if done properly there is very little lead exposed to the wort. My chiller is made out of 1/4" tubing, it's a bit short though. If I make another one, I'll probably stay with 1/4 inch.

(I know there is lead in brass fittings, but not enough to worry about).

Looking at that chiller made me dizzy, though it is all about surface area in contact with the wort-not about looks!!

If you are wondering how much tube, I think that the short answer is that there never is too much until it can no longer be submerged in your wort-this depends on your boil volumes. I do 2.5-3.0G boils, and I used 30 ft wrapped around a standard 1G paint can. I am going to use the other 30 to make a pre-chiller/circulator for the cooler when I start using my sanke keg boil vat.

FWIW

By the way, copper pipe for water supplies is supposed to be joined with lead free solder...if not, fire your plumber!!

Latest posts

Back