Wort chiller timing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewOnBoard

Reaction score
I recently brewed up some of the white house ale (blech!) and in their recipe they gave boil times for the hops and said "add 10 minutes to the boil if using a wort chiller".

Ummm what?

What is the general way that you arrange your boil timing and cooling with the wort chiller? I assumed that you add hops on the regular timing schedule and when your 60min is up, you quickly take the kettle off the boil and start running cold water through the chiller until you are at your desired pitching temp.

Am I wrong? Should I "adjust" boil times one way or the other when using my chiller? Am I applying this device correctly? (prior to the the chiller I used ice and cold water).

Thanks!

BrewOnBoard

That's odd wording- they probably meant add your wort chiller at 10m if you are using one. It's just to sanitize the copper before you turn the flame off.

That's odd wording- they probably meant add your wort chiller at 10m if you are using one. It's just to sanitize the copper before you turn the flame off.

The exact wording including asterisks is:

"***If you have a coil immersion chiller, add 10min before boil is complete[sic]***"

I bet you're right. I read the meaning of the word "add" to mean: "add 10min (to your boil time)" not "add (immersion chiller to your kettle) 10min before..."

Thanks for the clarification.

BrewOnBoard

Back