Wort chiller taking way too long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainiac116

Reaction score
Just finished my third batch and for chilling I use Standard Wort Immersion Chiller with garden hose fittings - 3/8" but it took over and hour to chill from boil to 65F, and the pot sat outside in 32F temps!
Is it because of the tubing size? I'm on town water and it could get expensive.
I do have a new plate chiller that I haven't figured out how to use yet and I am very skeptical that the plate chiller will do the job in 10 minutes.
Thoughts?

How many gallons of wort? How long is the IC? What is the temperature of the supply water? Did you stir?

All things that will effect your results.

Are you bouncing the chiller in the kettle? I find you can't just let it sit there...give it a bounce every couple minutes and it makes a BIG difference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Agreed! You need to move the wort chiller around, I usually pick it up 3/4 out of the wort for 3 or 4 secs to really chill it before pushing it back down to the bottom of the brew kettle and I repeat this for the 15 mins that it takes me to cool my wort to under 70°.

Also you wanna make sure to stir oppositeof the direction waters flowing in the chiller and make sure its not compressed to each part being on top of eachother. Gotta "stretch" it a bit to make sure wort can have a lot of contact with chiller

Thank you all for the suggestions.
No I just let the chiller sit on the bottom. It is a 5 gallon batch. IC is 25 feet. Water temp unknown but definitely in the 30 degree range.

I get 5 gals down to pitch in 20-25 min with a 25 foot immersion, indoors, with tap water. Even without bouncing it shouldn't take more than half an hour.

Not sure what the issue is but maybe the plate chiller is the way to go. Then at least you can control the flow rate.

I used to agitate mine up and down the whole time. That's also how I aerated. Then I broke down and got on Amazon and bought a plate chiller for 80$. Best investment for brewing IMO. Plate chillers are worth their weight in gold...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Without moving the wort around you're not doing much of anything other than cooling the wort closest to the chiller and waiting for the rest to chill. Stir the wort or move the chiller around (or both) and you'll get the chill speeds you're looking for. I did 5 gallons last night with 52F ground water in less than 20 minutes. That was 212F to 70F.

Doesn't bouncing the IC have a negative effect on the settling of the trub?

Sent from my XT1030 using Home Brew mobile app

You're right, it does. That's why when you get down to temperature, you give the wort all a mighty fast swirl with the IC, lift it out, put the lid on the pot, and wait 30 minutes. Then you pull off some beautifully clear wort into the fermentor.

leave it low, the water needs time to "absorb" the heat from the wort instead of just blasting right through and down the drain
Actually it's the cooper that's absorbing the heat. The colder you can keep the full length of your chiller, the faster it will chill your wort. The more cold water passing through the better. The closer the temperature is coming out of your IC as it was going in the better. This isn't to say you'll be using water efficiently, but it will chill faster.

Actually it's the cooper that's absorbing the heat. The colder you can keep the full length of your chiller, the faster it will chill your wort. The more cold water passing through the better. The closer the temperature is coming out of your IC as it was going in the better. This isn't to say you'll be using water efficiently, but it will chill faster.

Yep. Running it slow may be a more efficient use of your water, but it will chill the wort more slowly. Using 3/8" tubing is going to slow the water flow a good bit anyway. My old IC was 22ft of 1/2" ID tubing with garden hose connections. The hose water ran through it w/o slowing down and it chilled wort quickly.

+1 on letting the wort settle after chilling. Cover the kettle with a lid or foil that's been sprayed with StarSan. I also use Whirlfloc in the boil at 10 min to promote that settling process.

To the OP, with your cold water, if you stir frequently (which is key) you will certainly have that wort chilled to the ideal pitch temp (about 60*F for ales) in about 15-20 min.

Yep. Running it slow may be a more efficient use of your water, but it will chill the wort more slowly. Using 3/8" tubing is going to slow the water flow a good bit anyway. My old IC was 22ft of 1/2" ID tubing with garden hose connections. The hose water ran through it w/o slowing down and it chilled wort quickly.

+1 on letting the wort settle after chilling. Cover the kettle with a lid or foil that's been sprayed with StarSan. I also use Whirlfloc in the boil at 10 min to promote that settling process.

To the OP, with your cold water, if you stir frequently (which is key) you will certainly have that wort chilled to the ideal pitch temp (about 60*F for ales) in about 15-20 min.

I will most definitely be stirring next time!
Any trub that makes it way into the fermenter has always settled out and if I'm careful when racking, can avoid most of it.
All my reading has made me paranoid about the cooled wort becoming infected so I try to transfer asap.
FYI, I was told run the water slowly which is what I did, which makes me think that slow is NOT the way to go.

has anyone tried flowing water at both speeds to test the difference in times? I've never used an IC, but i assumed the principal would be the same as it is in heating a floor w/ radiant heat. only in the case of the floor, you're flowing hot water through tubing in a cold atmosphere.
if anyone has times they've recorded (or just kinda remember) i'd like to hear about it....i'm sure the OP would also.
i plan on building an IC in the near future so i'll be able to test on my own, but i'd like to hear of other's outcomes too

^ I have but it's an unfair experiment for me since the brew days were different and the temp outside varied by 25+ degrees making ground water warmer. I keep the flow fairly low.

I used to agitate mine up and down the whole time. That's also how I aerated. Then I broke down and got on Amazon and bought a plate chiller for 80$. Best investment for brewing IMO. Plate chillers are worth their weight in gold...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
totally agree... soo much faster and less messing around but for those without ball valves of pumps it gets to be a bit more complicated to make it work.

Spinout said:
leave it low, the water needs time to "absorb" the heat from the wort instead of just blasting right through and down the drain

Not true. Think about it - if you're flowing the water slowly, then it's really just trickling through the coil, only contacting the bottom portion of the inside of the tubing. You want that pipe full so that water is contacting on all sides of the inside of the tubing.

I'd agree with running it slowly IF you constricted the output of the chiller such that the inside of the chiller is full of (slow moving) water. The key is that it must be contacting on all sides of the inside of the chiller walls. In the absence of a valve constricting output flow, just run the flow fast enough to ensure it's contacting all sides of the inside walls of the chiller. Less efficient use of water, but it will chill faster.

I do have a new plate chiller that I haven't figured out how to use yet and I am very skeptical that the plate chiller will do the job in 10 minutes.
Thoughts?

If you already have a plate chiller, then why are you torturing yourself messing around with immersion chillers? Do you have a pump? Get yourself a nice little pump (I love my Chugger) and see how wonderful life can be.

I have a DudaDiesel B3-23A (the long one) 30 plate chiller and I can bring 5 gallons of wort from 212°F down to 65°F in 7-8 minutes. I actually have to carefully watch it to ensure I don't accidentally chill it too much. I recirculate the wort back into the boil kettle, watching the thermometer on the kettle to know where I am. You can actually see the needle moving, like a clock with a second hand that moves backwards.

I use tap water from the hose faucet to chill it down to 100°, then switch to recirculating a camping cooler full of ice water to chill it the rest of the way. It's unreal how fast it works. I collect the waste water in 3 buckets (one with a scoop of Oxyclean) and use it for cleaning.

Not true. Think about it - if you're flowing the water slowly, then it's really just trickling through the coil, only contacting the bottom portion of the inside of the tubing. You want that pipe full so that water is contacting on all sides of the inside of the tubing.

I'd agree with running it slowly IF you constricted the output of the chiller such that the inside of the chiller is full of (slow moving) water. The key is that it must be contacting on all sides of the inside of the chiller walls. In the absence of a valve constricting output flow, just run the flow fast enough to ensure it's contacting all sides of the inside walls of the chiller. Less efficient use of water, but it will chill faster.

If you already have a plate chiller, then why are you torturing yourself messing around with immersion chillers? Do you have a pump? Get yourself a nice little pump (I love my Chugger) and see how wonderful life can be.

I have a DudaDiesel B3-23A (the long one) 30 plate chiller and I can bring 5 gallons of wort from 212°F down to 65°F in 7-8 minutes. I actually have to carefully watch it to ensure I don't accidentally chill it too much. I recirculate the wort back into the boil kettle, watching the thermometer on the kettle to know where I am. You can actually see the needle moving, like a clock with a second hand that moves backwards.

I use tap water from the hose faucet to chill it down to 100°, then switch to recirculating a camping cooler full of ice water to chill it the rest of the way. It's unreal how fast it works. I collect the waste water in 3 buckets (one with a scoop of Oxyclean) and use it for cleaning.
:off:
curious? I have the b23a-20 (20 plate) and I have been able to chill from boiling to 65 degrees in one pass with my pump running usually between 2/3 and 3 quarter power (Usually use my 12v topsflo which is only like 12L per minute.) Anyway it takes less than 5 minutes to cool 5.5 gallons so I'm curious whats different in your setup? warmer water? Im in the northeast and its mighty cold here right now (blizzards rolling in as I type)
Back on topic....

I totally agree as long as you found a way to keep the hop trub our of your wort you should at least pick up a $20 tan 12v pump and use that to run the plate chiller. they work great for me.

I think it has mostly been covered, but:

1. Stir the IC. The more you do the faste it will cool. I used to not stir and it took over an hour to get to pitching temps for 5g. Now I stir it every 5-10 minutes and am at pitching temps in 30 minutes. Could probably do it faster, but 30 minutes is enough for me, since I am usually doing sanitation and fermenter prep at that point anyways.

2. Water flow. As others noted, the more flow through, the faster it will chill. BUT! This is really most important at the early stages, when the temp difference is greatest. As the wort gets closer to the water temp, the amount of heat transfer from wort to chiller-water slows, so while higher flow rates still chill faster than slow flow, the difference is not much (to illustrate, just notice how hot the chiller water comes out. Early on, it will be very hot even at high flow, near the end it will come out cool at high flow, but if you slow it down to a trickle it will come out warmer, as the water had more time to absorb the heat). I tend to blast it pretty good the first 5 minutes or so, and then slow it down when wort drops below 130-140, because using less water is more important to me than a small decrease in time.

3. If you have a plate chiller, I would totally use it. It is on my wish list, but I can't bring myself to justify the cost, plus I don't have a pump for it yet. The only real downside I see to a plate chiller is cleaning it out, but I don't honestly know how that goes...it may be as simple as a hot water rinse at the end, and then baking it in the oven for a few minutes to sanitize.

So, in summary, if you just want to cut it down to 30 minutes, swirl the wort every 5-10 minutes, and use more flow the first 5. If you want the fastest possible cooling, use your plate chiller.

I have the b23a-20 (20 plate) and I have been able to chill from boiling to 65 degrees in one pass with my pump running usually between 2/3 and 3 quarter power (Usually use my 12v topsflo which is only like 12L per minute.) Anyway it takes less than 5 minutes to cool 5.5 gallons so I'm curious whats different in your setup? warmer water?

LOL, definitely not warmer water, I'm in Ottawa, Canada. :)

I don't want to derail the OP's thread too much, so I'll just quickly describe my setup. I used to just run the wort from the kettle through the chiller in a single pass, and then straight into the fermenter, as you described. When I used tap water with my IC in a camping cooler ice bath as a "pre-chiller," this would get me to pitching temps in a single pass in just a few minutes, as you described.

The problem I was having is that I'm using a HopStopper on my kettle outlet port (basically a pickup tube enshrouded in a Frisbee-shaped pouch of fine stainless mesh) to keep trub and hop matter from going into my chiller. When pumping wort from the kettle, through the chiller and into the fermenter, I was losing suction in my pickup tube once the wort level got low enough to expose the HopStopper. The issue was that the HopStopper was blocking so much trub that wort was unable to flow through its mesh and to the pickup tube as fast as the pump was sucking it out.

So I'd lose suction, the pump would lose prime, and because of physics I was never able to get the pump to prime again. It doesn't produce suction, so once you've lost the siphon, you're done. This was happening every time, no matter how much I slowed the flow as the wort level dropped. I was left with at least a gallon of perfectly good wort in my kettle that I had no way of safely getting into my fermenter.

Keep in mind, it was still piping hot, as it hadn't been chilled yet, so I couldn't just rack it over with an autosiphon. I couldn't just pour it into the fermenter because I was a) worried about contamination from the upper edges of the kettle as it poured, and b) it constituted enough almost-boiling hot wort to significantly raise the temperature of the rest of the wort already in the fermenter.

That's why now I just recirculate the wort back into the kettle, so the HopStopper is continuously submerged during the entire process and I can run the chiller with the valve almost fully open. Once the wort is at pitching temperature, I simply rack it over to the fermenter with a plain old autosiphon, allowing me to get every last drop of wort from my kettle.

Note that I said *almost* fully open. I still have to constrain the flow a little bit to avoid cavitation in the hose leading from the kettle to the chiller as the HopStopper gets caked with trub. In some batches, depending on the grain bill, I've had to constrain the wort flow, while simultaneously continuously scraping trub off the submerged HopStopper screen with a sanitized spoon. I suspect this constriction, combined with the switch from tap water to ice water at 100°F, probably accounts for my slightly longer chilling time. Admittedly, in the winter, I've learned I don't actually need to switch to the ice water. The tap water is cold enough to get me all the way down to 65° F easily, so I've taken to only using the ice water in the summer.

^^ ahh yes I know exactly what your talking about... I use a homemade hop stopper to get anything that gets by my stainless hop cup... mine leaves a 1/2" at the bottom that I always just pour into the carboy through a screened funnel at the end... no contamination that I've noticed as of yet...

I do run the worth through the chiller with the water off for about 30 seconds and recirculate it back to the kettle just as an extra per caution in case the stars an missed some bacteria ....
I'm on my 8th brew as I type this..

I gave up on my imersion chiller after about a dozen batches.. I ordered a pump and plate chiller.. What a great investment :D

Back