Wort chiller, pump and a cold pool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a diy 25' copper wort chiller that I am using to cool 5 gallon batches. Last time I just ran the hose through it and watered my garden, but now it's a bit too cold for that. I was thinking of grabbing a pump and running it out of my pool through my chiller and back into my pool. Thinking of pickup up this pump
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOCA47E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

What do you think? Think I will hit some problems with this setup?

Thanks
-Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure you can pump cold water from your pool through your IC!

Of can you just simply set the kettle in the pool, perhaps on the steps for a couple hours as a large water bath...yea I'm lazy!

Sure you can pump cold water from your pool through your IC!

Of can you just simply set the kettle in the pool, perhaps on the steps for a couple hours as a large water bath...yea I'm lazy!

I've done this, my very first brew day years ago. My chiller sprung a leak so I needed quick solution. It worked pretty well until the Polaris pool sweeper came along. It's tail sprayed a couple drops of pool water into the wort :smack:

lol, thanks all. The pool is covered so I can't be too lazy. Would be nice just to dip it in for a bit. I will run a hose out of the pool and then back into the pool. Going to order that pump today.

Back