Wort boiling over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleJeepXJ

Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a home remedy to stop wort from boiling over? I thought about adding some olive oil but am not sure if that would hinder the yeast in fermentation. I did not pick up any of the commercial anti foam products. This is not normally a problem but I drilled a hole in my larger kettle and have yet to put in the level glass. Hence why I am using a slightly smaller kettle for this batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ya that's about the same here. Since I am using a smaller pot for this single batch I am about 3/8" from the top.

You and I are tempting fate with small pots, but I have seen youtube vids where praying cold Sar San and water kill the foam almost instantly.

I actually put a bit of olive oil in it and it stopped the foam. I figured what's the difference between sugar and protein wort and sugar and protein pasta water. Guess the answer is not much.

I spray with distilled H2O and seems to control boil very well!!

I spray with sanitizer like mentioned. Between that and stirring the foam back in keeps mine under control. Usually takes about 5 minutes of fighting it then I can relax. Being as close to the top as you are you'll probably have to watch real close though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Is there a home remedy to stop wort from boiling over? I thought about adding some olive oil but am not sure if that would hinder the yeast in fermentation. I did not pick up any of the commercial anti foam products. This is not normally a problem but I drilled a hole in my larger kettle and have yet to put in the level glass. Hence why I am using a slightly smaller kettle for this batch.

A couple drops of THIS will help. Not exactly home remedy but it's worth the $3.

I spray with distilled H2O and seems to control boil very well!!

Would regular water work instead of distilled water or StarSan? The wort is boiling, so I don't think I have to worry about any nasties that might come from the water.

I routinely boil 6.5G in a 7G kettle.
Keep an eye on it. Just as it starts the break, cut the propane, spray(I have starsan in my sprayer but anything could work), and stir. Then turn the burner back on low to maintain a rolling boil.
It works..... but then I discovered Fermcap- wonderful stuff!

Fermcap-S and a spray bottle of cold water, tyats all I use now. Sometimes I lower the heat but kostly the fermcap does its job

Jupapabear

Why is everybody spraying sanitizer into their beer? I mean I know Star San is supposed to be tastless, but I wouldn't tempt fate by adding it directly to my wort when it's not at all necessary. Is there something I don't know about Star San that reduces foam more than just regular water?

Spray water,
get a bigger pot,
fermcap,
clip on fan on the side of the pot

Any one or a combination of the 4 will work.

+1 for a spray bottle filled with water. Seems like a waste of expensive StarSan if you ask me. The liquid is boiling so it is self-sanitizing.

I use sanitizer just because its already on hand and in my spray bottle. And considering that its a no rinse how could that amount of spray be any more dangerous than what's left in/on the equipment when you sanitize it. Any who to each their own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

A couple drops of THIS will help. Not exactly home remedy but it's worth the $3.

Infant gas drops available at most stores, is simethicone, similar to Fermcap S and easily available.

Plus 1, why spray boiling wort with star San, unless you are trying to sanitize it lol.

Dropping an ice cube or two in the pot will also tame a boil.

I just use a towel to fan air over the surface during the break. Seems to work fine for me. A fan pointed at the boil would do the same thing (as someone else already suggested).

I use a strainer to scoop off the early forming foam right before boil. Seems to control the boil really well, haven't seen any negative effects from doing that.

Why is everybody spraying sanitizer into their beer? I mean I know Star San is supposed to be tastless, but I wouldn't tempt fate by adding it directly to my wort when it's not at all necessary. Is there something I don't know about Star San that reduces foam more than just regular water?

I am also weird-ed out by how many people suggested using star-san in a spray bottle. Yeah its not harmful when used properly, but properly is letting something soak in contact with it for a tleast a minute, and then have contac with air at least a minute. I would never spray star san into my boil (not saying its harmful) but it seems like a waste and just odd. Regular tap water out of a spray bottle will work more then fine, why use anything else.

I have my burner cranked up all the way and once it reaches 200 degrees I've found that it skyrockets up to boiling from there. So, my solution is I keep an eye on it until it reaches 200ish and then turn down my burner as much as I can and maintain a rolling boil. It ends up being a lot less of a flame than you might think. Getting a liquid to a boil is far more difficult than keeping a liquid at a boil. Anyways, after I started doing this I don't even have to look at the wort until my hop additions.

I use a strainer to scoop off the early forming foam right before boil. Seems to control the boil really well, haven't seen any negative effects from doing that.

Yeah, some people get paranoid about this and head retention, but it's silly. This is hot break, you can skim it now or siphon off it later.

I just wanted to chime in on this because I get a massive hot break and I've done most of the things mentioned here to try to control boil-over (with the exception of adding olive oil--which is a really bad idea, BTW, for the reason mentioned above). I've sprayed water, backed off on the boil, hit the kettle with a fan, added Fermcap. I've found that the easiest, quickest, least annoying/disruptive of all alternatives--and one that doesn't involve adding anything to the beer, for you purists out there (of which I'm becoming one, incidentally)--is simply skimming the hot break, as a few people have mentioned here. You can maintain your boil, you don't have to stand watching, you don't have to add anything you may or may not trust. Do it and you're done. 'Takes about 30 seconds. You can ignore the kettle from then on and go about cleaning and sanitizing. I realize that people like their own systems, and they like to stick to techniques they're familiar with, but this is a time-saver and a stress-reliever. I'd recommend giving it a try.

Oh, and there's no effect on head retention in the finished beer, in case that's a concern. At least, I haven't found there to be....

Yeah, it's pretty solid. I was initially concerned about it affecting head retention too, and I found just stirring it in works almost as well (but not quite). Most of it will sink at that point and join the rest of the break rather than float back to the top. But why not just skim it off and have that much less break to deal with?

+1 on fermcap. I haven't had a boilover since I started using it. Great in the boil. Great for boiling the starter in an Erlenmeyer flask. It's pretty harmless - same simethicon they use for gas relief

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I know lots of people swear by fermcap/simethicone and I haven't ever felt the need to use it, but I don't see how that doesn't affect head retention, as an anti-foaming agent (I mean that's kind of a definitional thing, right?). Maybe it's just not very noticeable, at these doses?

On the other hand I know hydred silica gel, which is a component of simethicone, is used as a beer stabilizer and/or maybe clarifier too, something about protein reduction.

I know lots of people swear by fermcap/simethicone and I haven't ever felt the need to use it, but I don't see how that doesn't affect head retention, as an anti-foaming agent (I mean that's kind of a definitional thing, right?). Maybe it's just not very noticeable, at these doses?

Fermcap / simethicone sp? Is heavy and settles fairly quickly as I understand, and is not present in the finished beer.

Back