Wort' aeration time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallen78

Reaction score
Hi. I'm preparing to my next batch, it would be 2,5 gallon of imp. stout, est. OG is 24,9 Plato. Single infusion, mash out, fly continuous sparge, slurry US-05 1,5 pack (calculated via brewersfriend yeast pitch rate calculator).

The question is aeration. I'm going to use a diffuser stone via a 90% oxygen 10% nitrogen gas in a 10 lit. medicinal oxygen can, commonly used for breathing. Is it possible to use such gas or it won't aerate well/ would harm/ infect the wort? Did anyone use the same stuff?

If it would be OK, - how long should I asrate my wort before yeast pitching?

Gonna aerate at the 19C (66.2F) in a 2,5 gal glass carboy. As far as I know, the pressure power of any aerosol can is ~70 psi. The recommended concentration of dissolved oxygen for a good fermentation is about 7,8-8 ppm (mgramm/ lit.), - is it really suitable for my batch?

So, according to https://www.morebeer.com/articles/oxygen_in_beer article, I've calculated about 21 seconds of aerating my wort with such gas at the 32,5 psi (half power) pressure. Does it sound correct or it is too much/ less that it should be?

Thank you!

P. S. Would explain my calculations if needed.

I've been brewing for over 3 years now and have never even thought bout aerating. I do strain my wort going into the fermenter because I only do 2 gallon batches and have to limit the trub going into the fermenter to make room for the wort.

Aerating for about a minute should be fine. You don't really need to worry about calculations. It's not that precise an art. Turn on the oxygen before submersing in the wort. I usually turn it on with the aeration stone submersed in sanitizer. Then move the stone, with the gas still running, into the wort and adjust the flow until bubbles are just breaking the surface. You want as much oxygen as possible going into the wort and not just blowing into the air.

As for the sanitary properties of the gas itself, my understanding is that pure oxygen (or almost pure in your case) is actually toxic to any organism that woukd infect your beer. The biggest benefit I observed when I started aerating was that my fermentations were more consistently healthy and hit their FG closer. It is certainly not an absolute requirement but for me it has definitely made a dfference.

A buddy of mine just did a brewery tour at Good People Brewing and asked what one piece of advice he would give home brewers to make better beer. His answer......... aerate the s&#* out of your wort.

Welding oxygen and medical oxygen are the same. The only difference is paperwork. A lot of welding supply stores fill from the same large supply but need more paperwork for medical oxygen is my understanding. We arerate with oxygen for about a minute.

Latest posts

Back