Worst Craft Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityHops

Reaction score
Lets compile a list of the craft breweries that have left us disappointed. The ones where everything they offer is mediocre and/or of inconsistent quality.

Of course I'll start us off :

Grey Sail Brewing in Westerly, RI

I've been to their tap room a few times and sampled flights. Nothing is above average except for Captain's Daughter, except for when it isn't. That is to say it is extremely inconsistent. I've even gotten a few cans of Captain's Daughter that were obviously infected. Never again.

We've got one here in Sumner called Half Lion Brewing (if any of my compatriots in WA like this place, sorry-not-sorry). Went there about 6 months ago with the hubby and had a flight of everything they had on tap from a blonde down to a really dark stout. EVERY BEER TASTED THE SAME. The IPA had almost no hoppiness, all of them tasted watered down, and the basic flavor of each was bleh. I've heard from my buddy at Rail Hop'n Brewing in Auburn (shameless plug!! Great beer! In his garage! Open on Fridays & Saturdays! Tell 'em Becky sent ya) that the guy who started that place thinks he's the shiznit of brewing and really hasn't a clue.

LynLake Brewery (Minneapolis). I wouldn't really say the beer is the worst I've ever had, but not the best. And the ambiance of the place was very...rustic. Usually rustic ain't bad. But it just felt off there. And the bar is super small. I'm sure as they grow in volume and get a bigger revenue stream, they'll make some improvements. But right now it's pretty barebones and the beer ain't great.

I think the laws regarding craft brewing are really suspicious. Many of the laws that are supposedly setting quality standards are more about cultural entrenchment. The resulting products are essentially you know "cheesy" versions of European standard brews with fancy labels.

There are way too many people around here in Halifax, NS that brew for a few years and jump into commercial brewing.

There's two breweries here that are packed all the time. One of the workers at one of them came over for a brew one night and basically detailed how my process was far more advanced.

She said they haven't even looked into water reports or mash PH yet. Their stouts taste like astringent water and they've actually put out on the market a beer that unintentionally had gotten infected.

It frustrates me that someone gave these guys 2 million to start up a brewery.

There are way too many people around here in Halifax, NS that brew for a few years and jump into commercial brewing.

There's two breweries here that are packed all the time. One of the workers at one of them came over for a brew one night and basically detailed how my process was far more advanced.

She said they haven't even looked into water reports or mash PH yet. Their stouts taste like astringent water and they've actually put out on the market a beer that unintentionally had gotten infected.

It frustrates me that someone gave these guys 2 million to start up a brewery.

In Montgomery County, MD it seems to be more about navigating the laws and local politics than about producing a product, I watched one start up get bounced, because of zoning and a tasting room that was a little too large, and the entrepreneurs were lawyers.

Three ranges brewing company in valemount BC Canada. All there beers have a harsh bitter taste that turns your guts and that's comping from a guy that likes bitter IPAs. It's not a good tasting bitter it's a my stomach doesn't feel right now bitter. There also so over carbonated. It feels like your drinking a mouth full of foam every sip.

I'm gonna play the Devil's advocate here. I really have a hard time enjoying New Belgium's offerings anymore. IMO, over the years the quality has dropped significantly, while gimmicky named beers don't live up to their own hype or are sheer undrinkable. La Folie used to be one of my favorites... not so anymore, the complexity has vanished, now being an acetic abomination. They must make a killing with their flagship "Flat Tire," sustaining all the other ones.

I have yet to like an Abita beer or a Heavy Seas beer. Admittedly, I have not tried all of their offerings. Grayton beer calls their blonde ale their flagship beer. It's a drain pour.

I have yet to like an Abita beer or a Heavy Seas beer. Admittedly, I have not tried all of their offerings. Grayton beer calls their blonde ale their flagship beer. It's a drain pour.

I love Abitas grapefruit IPA. So I tried their purple haze (raspberry?) at a baseball game over the summer and it was extremely awful.

I'm gonna play the Devil's advocate here. I really have a hard time enjoying New Belgium's offerings anymore.

No devil's advocate required. (Curious that you capitalized "devil," though :)) New Belgium is clearly quasi-craft, mediocre, gateway beer. To me, flat tire is awful, but that's probably a style-preference thing. Add some hops, people!

I think the laws regarding craft brewing are really suspicious. Many of the laws that are supposedly setting quality standards are more about cultural entrenchment. The resulting products are essentially you know "cheesy" versions of European standard brews with fancy labels.

Oooohhhh, this doesn't sound like the usual mindless, boring, getting-to-know-you chit-chat. This sounds like you actually have something to say.

Could you expand on the way laws are about cultural entrenchment? I don't really know what that means, but it sounds interesting.

My vote is for Four String in Columbus, OH. I went with 3 other people and we tried 3 flights for 12 different beers total. Everyone agreed that their beers were pretty mediocre at best. I don't know if their quality went downhill or if the other local breweries just raised the bar.

I also have to nominate Great Lakes a pioneer craft brewer whose beers seem just meh these days. I visited there last year and it seems they're content to rest on their laurels versus trying to branch out style-wise.

My vote is for Four String in Columbus, OH. I went with 3 other people and we tried 3 flights for 12 different beers total. Everyone agreed that their beers were pretty mediocre at best. I don't know if their quality went downhill or if the other local breweries just raised the bar.

I also have to nominate Great Lakes a pioneer craft brewer whose beers seem just meh these days. I visited there last year and it seems they're content to rest on their laurels versus trying to branch out style-wise.

I think that's why I like Great Lakes though. Sticking to their traditional beers instead of making super hazy ipa's. I love going there to eat. Just my .002!

Agreed on Four String though.

We've got one here in Sumner called Half Lion Brewing (if any of my compatriots in WA like this place, sorry-not-sorry). Went there about 6 months ago with the hubby and had a flight of everything they had on tap from a blonde down to a really dark stout. EVERY BEER TASTED THE SAME. The IPA had almost no hoppiness, all of them tasted watered down, and the basic flavor of each was bleh. I've heard from my buddy at Rail Hop'n Brewing in Auburn (shameless plug!! Great beer! In his garage! Open on Fridays & Saturdays! Tell 'em Becky sent ya) that the guy who started that place thinks he's the shiznit of brewing and really hasn't a clue.

Does your buddy at Rail Hop'n know your talking **** for him? Generally speaking that's not a very classy move. I'd be pissed as hell if someone threw my companie's name out there like that in a thread dedicated to bashing others in my industry.

I love it when people claim breweries like New Belgium and SA suck. I can assure you they are doing something right in the world of brewing. Beer is meant to be enjoyed, that's it, nothing more. Based on the volume of beer these guys produce there must be at least a few people out there who are enjoying the product.

Kings Brewing in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. They actually poured me an infected beer. That's unforgivable.

And I actually don't care for Boston Brewing Co...probably not a popular opinion based on Craft Beer and Brewing's "The Best of Beer" issue. Sam Adams Boston Lager is drinkable but overrated IMHO and I've never been wowed by any of their offerings other than the Scotch Ale. However, I wouldn't call them the worst craft brewer.

I love it when people claim breweries like New Belgium and SA suck. I can assure you they are doing something right in the world of brewing.

You're right, New Belgium doesn't qualify as "worst" IMO. Their beer appeals to masses who have moved on from light lagers, and that's just dandy. Must. fight. tendency. ...to veer into beer snob territory.

Avondale in Birmingham, AL has been the worst craft brewery I have visited, as opposed the Good People in the same town that is top notch. New Belgium I think has always had an "off" flavor. I spend several years living in Europe and grew to really like German and English beers. I am now back in the PNW and find brewery's out here lack selection, tons of very good IPA's but I want a nice English Bitter or a German Helles. The Helles from Ninkasi is horrible.

You're right, New Belgium doesn't qualify as "worst" IMO. Their beer appeals to masses who have moved on from light lagers, and that's just dandy. Must. fight. tendency. ...to veer into beer snob territory.

You hit the nail on the head right there and on both sides of the fence. Widely available commercial brews are filtered to make them very clear which also removes some of the best flavors. Conversely, snobbery leads beer guys to cut smaller breweries a lot of slack. Unfortunately, that is also a double edged sword. If one says, "that beer sucks", when many people like it, it shows how refined ones palate is.

Oooohhhh, this doesn't sound like the usual mindless, boring, getting-to-know-you chit-chat. This sounds like you actually have something to say.

Could you expand on the way laws are about cultural entrenchment? I don't really know what that means, but it sounds interesting.

The difference between a "micro brewery" and a "craft brewery" is regulated. A micro brewery produces and consumes beers on site, whereas craft breweries may consume some on site, but also bottle and distribute. The regulations on craft are tighter and involve certain "standards" about the beer which are ostensibly to ensure a safe product, but on the face have weird rules about using minimal amounts of adjuncts, which seem more inline with European traditions, however the "craft" brews are seldom as well executed. It reminds me of a similar industry the cheese industry, where unaged cheese is banned, and never really tastes as good as the cheeses in Europe, well except for he pepper jack, which needs more pepper.

I enjoy the majority of New Belgium's line-up and I'm far from light lager transition. If being a beer snob means enjoying less beer then count me out!

Avondale in Birmingham, AL has been the worst craft brewery I have visited, as opposed the Good People in the same town that is top notch. New Belgium I think has always had an "off" flavor. I spend several years living in Europe and grew to really like German and English beers. I am now back in the PNW and find brewery's out here lack selection, tons of very good IPA's but I want a nice English Bitter or a German Helles. The Helles from Ninkasi is horrible.

Interesting... Just finished reading a thread about Altbier in Düsseldorf. I've yet to make the pilgrimage but towns where they have refined a style and associated tradition to this point always really appeal to me. Maybe that's an outsiders view. Maybe the residents clamour for their local breweries to make NW IPA. I doubt it. Not criticizing you in any way for this opinion just an observation!

Also why is there a thread to slag the efforts of hard working people? There are a lot of breweries that suck and suck hard. They'll all meet each other at the bottom in a competitive industry without our help.

There are a lot of breweries that suck and suck hard. They'll all meet each other at the bottom in a competitive industry without our help.

Similar to movie reviews.. I'd rather have a good idea in advance if the beer sucks.

My vote was for a place called Crooked Letter Brewing Company in Ocean Springs MS. Worst beer ever and it was a married couple, brother in law and maybe the parents who attempted to run the place. The brother in law was the brewer and the beer was straight crap. Their IPA had no hop taste whatsoever and the other beer tasted nothing like it should have. I had to look the place up real quick to remember the name and am happy to say it's reporting to be permanently closed. Having your brother in law who has no clue what hes doing in order to save money is never a good idea. Hire a real brewer next time. Coming from California at that time and that being my first experience to Mississippi beer, I was concerned. I'm glad I was only there for a few months.

To each their own, but I've been drinking New Belgium brews since they 1st opened...when you could only get growler fills, then 22oz bombers... and I still find their offerings great. I've got one case (empty of course) labeled Sunshine Wheat with a best by date of 9-23-97, and some of the heavy glass bombers that filled it.
To this day, I still enjoy Fat Tire and just about every other mainstays that they offer. They may not all be my favorite styles, but I can't say any of them are bad.
They may have hit the big time, but they still run an impressive operation here in Ft. Collins, and I'll always remember the beginning days of the local craft beer scene with them, Odell, and even Coopersmith's all being top notch...still to this day. But again, just my opinion and to each their own. Beer is to enjoy.

I'm surprised the hate for New Belgium. It's not the greatest but I still enjoy it on occasion. I wouldn't say it's horrible. I too enjoy Fat Tire.

Holy city brewing in Charlestown sc. Their beer is mediocre at best.

I just moved from Charleston SC and I do declare those people would hunt you down for talking bad about their Holy City beer. I would agree though that it's only mediocre.

I'm gonna play the Devil's advocate here. I really have a hard time enjoying New Belgium's offerings anymore. IMO, over the years the quality has dropped significantly, while gimmicky named beers don't live up to their own hype or are sheer undrinkable. La Folie used to be one of my favorites... not so anymore, the complexity has vanished, now being an acetic abomination. They must make a killing with their flagship "Flat Tire," sustaining all the other ones.

Yea tried their FAT TIRE a few months ago on tap and my thoughts were...."so what's so great about this?"...

But their RANGER is GREAT IPA.

Well, when Sam Adams Boston Lager first came out around what??? 1995 or so, I thought it was good. Well I tried some about a year ago and THOUGHT, man, they cheapened this and took out the hops etc.
Then I thought about it awhile. I've been brewing since 1990 (only 5 gallons extract at a time) and I thought, MAYBE my tastes have changed.
SO.... I grabbed my notebooks and found a "Pam Adams" that I made back in 1996 and I went to the local brewstore and bought the ingredients. I made the beer, waited 6 weeks, and then I BOUGHT a 6 pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager. Well, it tasted the SAME, so they DID NOT cheapen their beer, MY Tastes have gravitated to the darker and more Belgian style ales.
Actually, after Pam Adams aged out a little more, I appreciated it once more.
SOMETHING to think about before we "bad mouth" a micro.
I have always loved New Belgian products EXCEPT for fat tire. Funny thing is the stores have everything except their ABBEY ale and I have to buy it at a HIGH PRICED liquor store. So I just brew my own Abbey style Belgians for a LOT less dough.

K_sweets, I found mystery romp a coffee milk stout iirc to be very good and the heff wasn't bad. The same can't be said for now defunct crooked letter brewing's marketing.

Something I think missing from a lot of these types of discussions is how different and individualistic taste are. Just because I or you don't like something doesn't mean it's bad to others. For the record I too have a few breweries and beers I'm not fond of, among them I absolutely hate purple haze, have drain poured la folie, and find most of Sam Adams brews to be decently good with Irish Red being amazing.

I'm not going to name any place specific because I'm sure others like these places, but there are a few around here that make "ok" beer, just that - OK.

I really haven't had anything where I thought, "You're going places young man!

I'll usually go back just to have a few local beers but one place who had marginal beer also had a bad bartender and a head brewer who thought he is a gift. Didn't finish my one beer and have never had the desire to return.

I'm throwing in SouthGate Brew Co. in yosemite CA.

When I was in the US, i tried their IPA, and it tasted like a hefeweizen.....
Isoamyl Acetate much?

Otherthan that i had a pretty good time of it.

Back