Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In general, I think most Sam Adams is good, but not great. I had the Sam Adams Latittude IPA limited edition Simcoe editiona few months ago.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....very very good.

In general, I think most Sam Adams is good, but not great. I had the Sam Adams Latittude IPA limited edition Simcoe editiona few months ago.

really? I didn't like the Latittude at all. It was too sweat for me or soemthing. I generally like all their beers, except for the fruit beers. I don't care for their Irish Red either. i think their scotch ale, which is damn near impossible to find for me, is excellent

I feel the same way, :mug:almost changed my general opoinion of simcoe beers.

I swear 7 out of 10 simcoe beers taste like plastic or cat piss that I almost wont try em.

Their Imperial series is pretty drain-worthy, especially the White.

If you are talking about Sam Adams, I wholeheartedly agree. I just had one for the first time last night, and it was absolutely awful. There was nothing about that beer that resembled a white ale, and what was left was like boozy pancake syrup. Luckily, I didn't pay for a 4-pack of it or I would have been pissed off. I feel like they are totally misrepresenting the beer by calling it an imperial white.

Toss up - Blitz or Heidelberg (11oz stubbies)

Young in the military in WA State - had no money and it was CHEAP

Some pink-ish, fruity beer I had at McMennamin's in Salem, OR UGH, Godawful stuff... they really had a pitiful brewer, the best of the beers I had there was barely mediocre

If this hasn't been said it may rival all others, I've literally drank almost every beer in the lcbo and beer store. As new ones come in I try .

Nickel brook green apple pilsner.
I have never poured a beer down the drain, the way I described it was that sweet taste of saliva you get in your mouth before vomiting . Well they canned that taste.

Worse beer I've ever had, seeing it still makes me cringe and I vowed to punch the brewer in the groin if he crosses my path.

Buckhorn beer, down in El Paso in the eighties. Don't know if that crime-against-humanity is still 'brewed' - hope not.

I've never drank M or C but I used to drink B while shooting pool in dive bars; before I was supposed to be drinking, my friends and I would take cases of Session Lager to Garage Punk shows; when i was in college my classmates and I would drink Corona all night in the painting studio while waiting for our work to dry so we could finish them in time. None of those were good beers, but they didn't take away from the joy of the moment.

Almost every holiday season I forget myself and pick up one of Sam Adams specialty beers, for the rest of the night all I can think about is how bad it is, and the crappy flavor it left in the back of my mouth. Last year my wife bought their mixed 12 pack, so... Sam Adams Chocolate Bock is the beer that locked it down, I will never drink SA again.

Its pretty funny, usually people bash BMC on this forum but this thread shows a strong hatred for a TON of Sam Adams beers.

H-ost said:
Its pretty funny, usually people bash BMC on this forum but this thread shows a strong hatred for a TON of Sam Adams beers.

There's more BMC loyalty or at least respect on here than you'd think. I'm suspicious of any brewery that produces more than 20 brews...

There's more BMC loyalty or at least respect on here than you'd think. I'm suspicious of any brewery that produces more than 20 brews...

I definitely agree with the first sentence. 2nd sentence, though, idk. It depends on the brewery. To me i'd qualify the suspicion by including a sense of pretentiousness. Many breweries (I'll say the Matt Brewing Co. or Magic Hat or Sweetwater, just to name a few) produce >20 different brews a year, yet seem to always have this attitude of "well, this sounded good so we thought we'd try it". Contrasting with SA's attitude of "The average beer drinker doesn't know what Grains of Paradise is, so we're going to say we traveled the world for a special brewing spice", big difference.

bottlebomber said:
I'm suspicious of any brewery that produces more than 20 brews...

+1

I've had over a dozen SA beers and the only passable two were their Oktoberfest Lager and Blackberry Whitbier.

No I think your right. DFH has made at least 20 beers and although I've only tried a few of them I enjoyed what I had and they have a generally good reputation. However I've seen SA Cherry Wheat on here as the worst beer at least a dozen times since I've followed this thread. And yeah, you don't have to scour the earth to find grains of paradise. Although its name makes it a prime marketing target...

Not the worst but definitely one I wouldn't order a 2nd time. I am a huge fanboy and advocate for Cigar City Brewing (Tampa) but I just could not enjoy the Sugar Plum Brown, it tasted like what fresh basil smells like when you rub the leaf between your thumb and index finger. The taste quickly went away with their Humidor Imperial Stout following for the next round.

DMartin said:
+1

I've had over a dozen SA beers and the only passable two were their Oktoberfest Lager and Blackberry Whitbier.

I think SA typically tastes like rancid cat piss, but I kinda like their Griffin's Bow.

mjdonnelly68 said:
Budweiser - hands down. The King of Bad Beers.

Wow, you need to try more beer... Bud is definitely not desirable, but its far from the worst beer I've had. Try a Steel Reserve. You'll be praying for Budweiser after that.

I'd drink either before I touch another Steel Reserve. As has been said many times in this thread, no flavor is better than bad flavor.

Ah but 1 steel reserve will get me to a happy place by the end of it whereas I need to drink near a 6 pack of budweiser to have the same effect. And unless its a really hot day out, I'm dreading those 3-6 beers.

Steel Reserve takes me to the same place Jagermeister does. And it's not a happy place.

That being said, you can just go with hard liquor if that's what your looking for. Or if you're looking for cheap, mouthwash. Either way, tastes better than Steel Reserve. :tank:

Did you describe Gary, Indiana as a beautiful little city? Haven't lived in northern Indiana for several years but as I recall it isn't exactly the gem of the Midwest.

I will agree however that Stroh's is the worst commercial beer I've ever had. Disgusting.

H-ost said:
Ah but 1 steel reserve will get me to a happy place by the end of it whereas I need to drink near a 6 pack of budweiser to have the same effect. And unless its a really hot day out, I'm dreading those 3-6 beers.

I'd rather reach a state of inebriation via a sledgehammer than drink anything commonly sold as a "forty". Additionally you did state a good time to drink Bud, a hot day if the beer is icy cold (and you don't have any lager homebrew.)

Fermenting: Razor Wit
Bottling: Matanuska Wildberry
Drinking: As American As... Ale

About 3 weeks ago Kroger had 18-packs of PBR on sale for $9.99. I bought one pack of bottles and one of cans (they only had one pack of bottles left). I had three bottles one evening, it didn't go down very well, and I felt terrible the next day. I took the beer back to the store for a refund, which I don't recommend, apparently I got lucky and actually got my money back.

terror_storm said:
About 3 weeks ago Kroger had 18-packs of PBR on sale for $9.99. I bought one pack of bottles and one of cans (they only had one pack of bottles left). I had three bottles one evening, it didn't go down very well, and I felt terrible the next day. I took the beer back to the store for a refund, which I don't recommend, apparently I got lucky and actually got my money back.

That's strange, pbr is one of the best commecial brews imo. Id take ot over any bud miller or coors any day. Flavor, drunkenness and next day included.

yeah, pbr gets a 10 from me for what it is. if i'm drinking cold fizzy yellow beers its pbr.

rycov said:
yeah, pbr gets a 10 from me for what it is. if i'm drinking cold fizzy yellow beers its pbr.

I'll back you up on the PBR. There is a lot of it around here, "People's Beer of Richmond", and I'll occasionally go to it when the home brew runs out. Its ever so slightly better than bud/miller/coors.

Back