Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shiner's ruby redbird. It's a lager mad with ruby red grapefruit and ginger. It sounds intriguing enough, but boy am I glad that I only bought a pint instead of a six pack. You know how when you have vomited in the past and will then proceed to actively avoid any food that reminds you of that violent ejection of foulness? Well, the first sip reminded me of the morning after a rather extensive evening journey into the world of mead and braggot. I had taken a large drink of grapefruit juice thinking good old vitamin C would help, but once it had hit my traitorous stomach, it proceeded to the nearest exit in a hasty fashion. That grapefruit taste laced with bile will stay with me to my dying day, and god help me the ruby redbird tasted exactly like that. So from my point of view I paid four bucks for a drink of vomit. I freely admit my visceral negative response was very subjective, so anyone that hasn't puked up grapefruit juice before might want to give it a shot. The beer, I mean.

Some beer styles just don't appeal to me but that's on me.
But, Wells & Young Banana Bread Beer, that's on them. The single worst beer I've ever had.

Oh yeah, that's a bad one too. My wife got a pint and it looked interesting, so I took a swig.... I think it was the only time I spit out a drink of beer. Rancid stuff.

Pacifico.....

(not sure if it's micro or commercial) Third Coast

You need to try some more bad beer! Pacifico is probably one of the better pale mexian brews out there!

Third Coast could be one of two beers from Bells. They have a Third Coast Old Ale, which is fantastic... if you like old ales. If it is just their "Third Coast Beer" it is a blond ale and is really pretty darn good if you ask me. I regularly brew beers like it, and would love to brew an old ale as good as "Third Coast Old Ale" one day!

wildwest450 said:
Exactly. It's the hipster thing to do man, i'm a homebrewer man. I hate anything the man makes man. Shut up already.

_

For me though, if I have the choice of no beer or a budweiser, I'll choose no beer. Not because it's made by "the man", but because I genuinely just don't like it. There's a few adjunct lagers that I'll drink. Modelo especial isn't that bad when there's no other choice

For me though, if I have the choice of no beer or a budweiser, I'll choose no beer. Not because it's made by "the man", but because I genuinely just don't like it. There's a few adjunct lagers that I'll drink. Modelo especial isn't that bad when there's no other choice

Actually ALL Anheuser-Busch products were mentioned in the post. Anyone who honestly believes that every single beer they make is crap, is just not reasonable.

_

Homebrewtastic said:

Hey, I'm with you on that, I even said so myself. I will order liquor or even a pop if the only stuff they have at a bar or restaurant is BMC swill.

But I still feel that saying an almost totally tasteless Bud Light is the worst beer someone has ever had is either total pretentious BS, or the variety of other beers they've actually tried must be unbelievably small. Considering the number of beers that I've had that have been gag-inducing, and which I probably wouldn't have been able to finish even if someone paid me, fizzy water shouldn't even come close to being the worst thing ever drank by ANYBODY who has tried more than a handful of different beers.

wildwest450 said:
Actually ALL Anheuser-Busch products were mentioned in the post. Anyone who honestly believes that every single beer they make is crap, is just not reasonable.

_

I see what you're saying. I was just talking about budweiser specifically. Last Christmas I brought some deschuttes jubelale to my inlaws. My father in law is a strict Bud drinker. He drank a deschuttes and said it tasted German (not too sure what he meant by that). Then said "here have a real beer". And handed me a budweiser. I choked it down, but barely.

Saying BMC such as Coors Light is the worst tasting beer is like saying you can't stomach drinking water.

Pops Hops Premium Select has got to be the worst beer I've ever had. Also, anything by Huber Brewing Company is terrible. I remember getting one of their beers at Aldi, Northstar Light, and local hobos wouldn't even take the remaining 11. You know a beer is horrid if a hobo won't drink it. Avoid Huber Brewing at all costs.

Pops Hops Premium Select has got to be the worst beer I've ever had. Also, anything by Huber Brewing Company is terrible. I remember getting one of their beers at Aldi, Northstar Light, and local hobos wouldn't even take the remaining 11. You know a beer is horrid if a hobo won't drink it. Avoid Huber Brewing at all costs.

huber is brewed by Minhas just like Simpler times. I think all they make is crap beer. like mountain creek, rhienlander, berghoff, lazt mutt, hi test, Wisconsin club, blah

their goal is to make the cheapest beer possible.

Call me uncouth and uncultured but I can't stand the taste of Chimay Rouge or Bleu - totally unappealing to me in every way.

I know that Sam Adams beers are technically very good beers, but I really don't like any of them. I will choke down a SA Lager once in a while, but I can't say that I enjoy it.

Another "good" beer on my undrinkable list is Dogfish Head 90. I really wanted to like it but just couldn't get past the grassy/bitter hops. Given that experience, I have no doubt that I'd hate the 120.

Call me uncouth and uncultured but I can't stand the taste of Chimay Rouge or Bleu - totally unappealing to me in every way.

I can agree with this... Chimay Blue is like drinking cloying Kool-Aid to me. Haven't tried the DFH90 since they pulled out of TN, but I really like the 60... so can't say that I agree there.

Shock Top tastes like if you let the dregs of your orange soda sit in the car for a few hours and you took a sip just before all the bubbles were gone but after all the ice had melted... to me.

To continue with the supposedly great beers, I hated delerium tremens when I had it, drank about 4 sips to make sure it wasn't something else in my mouth messing with the taste and had to had it off to a friend.

2nd worse would be leihnies fireside nut brown, just not a good flavor for me

I've got 2 - Wild Blue blueberry lager and an offering called Red Devil IPA from one of my local breweries.

Wild Blue is just a god awful excuse for a beer. High gravity blueberry lager? Tastes worse than carbonated Robitussin. I took maybe two sips of this swill at a buddy's, who loves the sh*t, and gave him the rest. Awful stuff.

The Red Devil IPA is some sort of experiment by this local brewery that is just horrendous. Cloyingly sweet, thick, syrupy hot mess of a beer no where NEAR an IPA. I'm convinced this was some sort of drunken concoction by the brewery one late night. Bought a pint and couldn't get through half of it.

bierhaus15 said:
Not the *worst* by any means, but I had a bottle of DFH 90 Min IPA last night and it reminded me how much I hate that beer. Alcoholic hop syrup. Nasty.

90 is wonderful

I agree about the wild blue,but my son loves it. It was all I could do to choke it down. Sweet blueberry beer? Yuk. But I love the DFH 90 min imperial IPA. I like the strong English malt backbone,but the hops taste like the usual "C" hops to me. Not bitter either,just lots of herbal citrus flavor. Expensive,but good.
And the Shock Top is good if you like a Belgian Wit that's fruity/spicy. Goes good with shots of vodka. I'm surprised about the Red Devil IPA. I was gunna try that one,& the Bell's Oberon I saw at Giant Eagle. They have the Ruination too.

I'm surprised about the Red Devil IPA. I was gunna try that one,& the Bell's Oberon I saw at Giant Eagle. They have the Ruination too.

I think we're thinking of 2 different Red Devil IPAs - the one you saw (and I have too at the grocery store) I haven't tried. The one I'm talking about is from a local brewery (Pisgah).. And it's surprising as hell that it came from them, because I enjoy most of their other beers. But this one... UGH. The thought makes me shudder.

As far as "good beers" I don't care for.... Blue Moon. It's not bad or anything there just something there I don't like.

emjay said:
A lot of people are saying stuff like Bud Light, and as someone who will not order a macrobrew even if I'm at a bar or restaurant with no craft beer whatsoever, I find that a pretty stupid and even pretentious thing to say.

And if Bud Light truly is the worst beer somebody has tried, it says much more about the person than it does about Bud Light. It says, "I am a person who hasn't tried very many different beers." Because, really, Bud Light tastes like fizzy water. It doesn't have a disgusting taste, it simply has no taste.

When you consider all the beers out there that aren't just bad, but can even have an intensity of flavor on par with an IIPA or barleywine, Bud Light just falls entirely off the radar. I mean truly offensive beers that you might even consider vomiting just to get that crap out of you, and the only thing stopping you is the realization that you'll have to taste it again on the way back up. Beer so vile that you would gladly drink your buddy's Bud Light because it's the closest thing around that might help you get the taste out of your mouth.

Sometimes it's the result of an infected or otherwise bad bottle or batch. Other times the beer is just genuinely that bad, whether through poor brewing/fermentation techniques, terrible recipe design, or some combination of factors.

Either way, truly disgusting beers, while not typical, aren't THAT rare, either. To have never encountered something worse than a tasteless Bud Light only implies that the person hasn't really tried many different beers at all.

I think that you are projecting you're definition of "worst" onto everyone elses opinion. I posted that bud light was in my opinion the "worst" commercial beer out there.I have tried hundreds of beers and I think I know what I don't like.For me the combination of watery ,sweet ,adjunct riddled flavor, and hangovers and headaches puts this low quality macro-offering at the top for me.Maybe not you.Me.

governorkc said:
i changed my mind Budlight wheat is the worst. couldnt drink more than a sip. tastes like feet. nasty

"it tastes like feet..." awesome

I won tickets to a college football game that included a limo ride to the game (2 hrs each way) and free miller beer (think it was MGD 64 or high life). I could only bring myself to drink 3 and a half... Its gotta be bad if it's free and I can't drink more than that during 4 hrs in a limo.

Latest posts

Back