Worst brew day ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarod7736

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch on my brewtroller controlled system this morning. Single tier, 10 gal cooler mash tun, and one pump (I have another, but dropped it and broke the head). Also it was my first run with a Counterflow chiller.

Heating mash water went fine, mash went fine. Preheated my MT and mashed at 152. I have a rv hose connected to an adapter to cam lock, and went to add more water to the HLT for the sparge, I forgot to open the valve, and the silicon tubing burst, sending water everywhere. I drain my mash into the boil kettle, everything was fine there. Then started my batch sparge. Upon attempting to drain the sparge into the BK, it stuck. So much grain coming through the pump. Hoses are clogged. What happened was that the hose connecting my bulkhead to the false bottom came off. So eventually I ended up using a scoop to scoop out sparge liquid and grain, and strain it via a colander into my boil kettle. The boil went ok, no problems. I sanitized my CFC by recirculating boiling wort through it. Continued my boil, hop additions, all the. Boil ends, and I turn on the water to cool the wort. I was going to recirculate to bring the entire volume below 140, then cool into the fermenter. I couldn't get the pump to draw the wort out. I could gravity drain, slowly, but the pump wouldn't draw the wort out. Then,since my pump wasn't bolted down, it fell off the shelf and broke the pump head. 2 pumps, out of commission. I finally gravity drained it all, not quite cooled enough, only down to 85 or so. Finally it cooled and I pitched, and cleaned up my mess. I'm fairly certain Ihave heat stroke from doing this in my garage in 105 degree heat.

I'm sure it'll be beer in the end though.

Ah man, that's rough....though, after a couple good brews down the hatch...everything will be ok. Heeerrre come the RDWHAHB replies! ;)

Yeah, the reassuring part is that most of the problems stemmed from me being a dumb ass, and getting used to how to use some of the equipment.

This isn't even mentioning my cut hand, burn on the other hand from very very hot water, and later in the day, I cracked a tooth. Fun.

I'm going to fix my pumps and test out the chiller by itself a bit more. It's hard to get a siphon with boiling wort.

Back