Worried that my bitter is dead due to faulty cap.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipbr21054

Reaction score
Hello.
I have transfered the bitter to my pressure barrel and left it in my warm bedroom for two weeks for carbination etc.
Yesterday was time for it to be put in the cold shed to clear etc BUT when i was walking down the bath with th barrel i noticed that the cap had a split about 3/4" long.
The cap i am using is white with a brass threaded section fitted in the middle so later on if i need to add gas i can do so.
I was worried that it may have lost all the gas and is now no good.
I took the barrel into the house and poured off a sample which has a nice head a plenty of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.
Tomorrow i am to replace the split cap but my questions are as follows.
1,when i unscrew the cap will it just hiss or will bitter come out aswell.
2,when i fit the new cap will i need to add gas and if so the head space at the top of the prressure barrel is about 4" so how do i know when i have filled it up.
3,If i do not need to put any gas in will the bitter be ok i,e will the bitter still generate the gas itself and pressurize the barrel again.

THIS WAS FOR CHRISTMAS AND HOPE IT IS STILL OK ?????

It should be fine, just replace the cap. If the pressure is too low, you could add a little more priming sugar.

If i just replace the cap how long before i can tell if the gas is low etc ? i assume i would only know this by pouring off a sample.
If i add some more priming sugar how much to i add & would i dissolve it first and just stir it in.

I have fitted a new cap and added 1oz of sugar just to get things moving again,i have also put it back in my bedroom and will remove it to the shed at the weekend.Fingers crossed it will be ok.

Back