worried about wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kxmjb

Reaction score
I am in the middle of the boil as I write this. I looked over at my smack pack and it hasn't started to puff up at all. It was activated a couple hours ago. I got it in the mail with a cold pack but the pack wasn't cold when it came to my door. worst case it got to about 90 degrees F on the delivery truck. could it be dead, if it is, I'm screwed.

90 degrees is getting pretty close on the edge of where the yeast cease to be.

Sometimes brewing sneaks up on us, but even though the smack pack will get the job done it still would benefit from a starter. One of the advantages is you know a day in advance if the yeast is viable.

I definitely support making a starter but I also have to add that I have NEVER had a smack pack swell up like they are supposed to. At best mine get feel like they have a little air in them so its harder to find the inner packet but that's it. They always have healthy yeast but if I didn't make starters I wouldn't know based on the swelling.

If I absolutely had to, could the wort sit in the fermenter until I get more yeast tomorrow, if conditions are kept sanitary? I don't see why this wouldn't work, but I am a beginner.

Sure I read somewhere that where water is scarce folks seal up the wort and let it air cool.
As long as it is sanitary you're good.

Which wyeast? I've had some that didn't swell hardly at all. I was worried but it turned out okay.

Maybe one of the experts knows if your yeast is one that doesn't swell that much.

What's the manufacture date on the packet? The older it is, the longer it will take to swell.

Also, are you sure you've broken the inner packet? I'm not trying to insult you, but those things can be tricky sometimes.

You can easily store your wort for another day, as long as it's sealed well and everything has been sanitized properly. If you can chill it, even better.

-Steve

No insult talken, It is definitely properly 'smacked'. the date is june 2, 09.

That's still pretty fresh. Maybe try moving it to a warmer area and see if that helps it kick in. Otherwise, you might be right about it being dead, but more likely it just has a severely low viability. If it doesn't puff after 4 hours (just a ballpark figure), then you'd probably be better off getting new yeast.

-Steve

I've never used that one, so we have to wait for one of the smart guys.

Make sure it is warm, sometimes I've put the smack pack in mildly warm water to encourage the yeast, especially if I forgot to smack it as early as I should. As a general rule I figure 3 hours so we'll see what happens in an hour.

Then I'd pitch it and see what happens. You can always repitch and I'm not aware of any trouble trying it would cause.

I've never used that one, so we have to wait for one of the smart guys.

Make sure it is warm, sometimes I've put the smack pack in mildly warm water to encourage the yeast, especially if I forgot to smack it as early as I should. As a general rule I figure 3 hours so we'll see what happens in an hour.

Then I'd pitch it and see what happens. You can always repitch and I'm not aware of any trouble trying it would cause.

I'm just double checking to see if I interpreted that right. If I pitch the yeast and it turns out to be dead, the beer isn't spoiled?

I think you're better off buying new yeast rather than take a chance on yeast that is either dead or has a very low viability.

Yes, you could always pitch new yeast, but why not just do that to begin with rather than pitching a bunch of dead yeast into the wort? Waiting a day is not a big deal as long as your wort has been stored properly. I waited 36 hours to pitch the yeast in my Saison that I just brewed.

To summarize, I think it's better to do it right the first time rather than fixing it later.

-Steve

Your wort will be fine for 24 hours as long as your sanitization is good and you seal it well from the outside. Several members have recently done extended threads on no chill brewing which is basically what you would be doing.

While the wort is cooling go ahead and make a starter with the pack you have. You should be able to tell tomorrow if they are viable. If not pick up another pack of yeast.

As an update, it has been over four hours and it is showing some slight swelling after a few hard shakes. These were frustration shakes so you know they were hard. Is it possible the my yeast buddies needed a harsh awakening?

I doubt it. Once the liquid nutrient in the pouch has been released and mixed with the yeast, it's going to metabolize it, assuming the packet is at an appropriate temperature. Shaking won't do anything, unless it wasn't mixed properly to begin with.

-Steve

I just used the Wyeast California Lager yeast and it took over 24 hours to swell (and it was fully swollen the next day). Activate it it 24-48 hours in advance. I delayed my brew day until I saw signs of life. Better safe than sorry.

Back