Wormwood cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojorader

Reaction score
My local brew store told me they carried wormwood last time I was in and I thought it would be really cool to have a cider that has that in it. The only thing is I have no idea how it will affect the taste or if it will even be worth it. I also don't know how to use the wormwood. Has anyone ever used wormwood or know how to?

Wormwood is bitter--I don't know if it has the liquorish taste or not. I believe that it's usually used like hops--i.e. being introduced sometime in the boil.
Before you purchase, do some research on the subject to see the effects, health risks and such. Just google it and filter through common sense...

I have some on order for a braggot on my brew list--I only plan to about 1 gram per gallon.

If you do decide to use it let us know how it turns out in a cider--I've heard of it in beers/ales, meads, and liqueurs (obviously), but not ciders (neither have I looked though).

Wormwood is bitter. No licorice taste as in absinthe, that usually comes from golden fennel and anise. What are you going for exactly? Absinthe cider? Thujone? If you can handle a bitter cider it may be interesting...

I am just experimenting with a bunch of stuff and wormwood is a bit if a novelty thing. If I used it it would probably be only to say I did unless it turns out to be good. I'm not going for anything in particular. Just wondering what would happen and it looks like I'm just going to have to try it and see. If I do it I'll for sure share how it turns out.

Back