World's Biggest Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdb7098

Reaction score
Brewed an Oktoberfest with 10.5 lbs of grain and ended up with an OG of 1.030. I tho't my hydrometer was broken since the recipe would have produced around 1.055. After reading a few threads on efficiency it seems as if grain crush could be a huge issue. Checked my spent grain and was noticing a lot of full kernels, and since I had 4 lbs of Pilsner and 4 lbs of Vienna the 1.030 would be fairly consistent in getting nothing from either the pilsner or or Vienna. It was the first time I had used this particular brew shop so not a real surprise. Here's the plan, brew a higher gravity Octoberfest of about 1.080 or higher, and add the weak Oktoberfest to it with the yeast in it and I should end up with ten gallons of good German lager. What's the problem with the plan?

Sounds good except the bitterness. If your first batch was light in malt and normal in hops, that would make it kind of hop forward for an Octoberfest. How does it taste?

It wasn't overly bitter, but more than you would expect from an Oktoberfest. I'm hoping if I under hop the next one I should get it balanced out.

Seems like if you under hop the target 1.080 wort you should be golden.

The only thing that I wonder about is the ratio of "starter" to final wort volumes being 1:2. I wonder if you'd get the same kind of lazy yeast problem that you supposedly get from stepping up a starter at a 1:2 ratio.

I don't even know how real the lazy yeast problem is, though. I never experienced it firsthand. Might as well go for it, right? I'd love to hear how it goes.

Back