Word Problem...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XombieDeath

Reaction score
I need some math help. I'm sure there's someone that knows the right formula for this that would keep me from having to trial and error it...

If I have 5 gallons of water at 154F. I want to add another 5 gallons to it with an end resulting temperature of 174F. What temperature does the added 5 gallons need to be in order to accomplish this?

(5gal@154F) + (5gal@#F) = 10gal@174F

I need some math help. I'm sure there's someone that knows the right formula for this that would keep me from having to trial and error it...

If I have 5 gallons of water at 154F. I want to add another 5 gallons to it with an end resulting temperature of 174F. What temperature does the added 5 gallons need to be in order to accomplish this?

(5gal@154F) + (5gal@#F) = 10gal@174F

You got it!

#F = ((10gal) x (174F) - (5gal) x (154F)) / (5gal)

#F = 194F

Hah! Funny that you wrote the equation properly in your question. Keep in mind this will only work with two identical liquids, ie will not be quite right for mixing water with wort. This is due to the dissolved sugars in the wort raising the heat capacity of the liquid, which is probably not too significant of an increase, but I can't be bothered to do the math to confirm that. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back