Wonky Beer Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jif

Reaction score
I've got a carboy full of an APA I brewed about two weeks ago in primary as we speak. My plan is to dry hop it with 2oz of Simcoe for a week. Here is the issue, I leave town for Spring Break this Friday for a full week. I assume I don't want this dry hopping for two weeks, so I don't want to start right now. I'll leave Friday and come back the Monday a week and a half later. I'm worried this will lead to too much grassiness, especially since I'm using Simcoe. If I wait that long to start my dry hop (i.e. after I return from break) should I consider pulling the beer out of its current vessel and putting it into a secondary to get it off the yeast cake? I'd then eventually end up in a tertiary fermenter to dry hop. It seems a bit overcomplicated, making me think I'm overthinking this whole affair. Should I just dry hop and not worry about the few extra days? Or just leave it in the primary the whole time?

That seemed like the safest bet to me as well. I'll have my beer later, but sitting on the yeast cake for four full weeks seemed like a bad plan for an APA to me.

Back