Wondering what system people would advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethmg

Reaction score
Hi Guys- I hope this is the right forum to ask this question as I realize it's not exactly 'home' brewing.

I'm wondering what brewing set up people would buy themselves. I'm looking to get a 2 or 3 bbl system. I'd like to get a complete system and not piece things together except perhaps the fermentors. I will also be hiring a consultant to help set it up and get it running. My budget is 10 to 15k not including consultant who I expect to cost at least 2k for a week's work.

Disregarding details such as economic feasibility for commercial brewing at this size (i've read all the advice against it,) local and regional codes and laws, etc. what complete system would you personally buy at this price point?

Thanks so much for your input!

stout tanks has some smaller systems. not sure if it's in your budget buy they are worth a look. The fermenters, glycol, bright tanks, kegs, walk in, etc... are the parts that will probably push you over budget.

Hi Maida- thank you- I will check out stout tanks. I should mention that I will have just over 100k in total when I start this project next spring so hopefully I will have enough to cover the small scale I'm looking for, including some kegs, walk in etc. My 10-15k number might not be realistic for my expectations... but I want to start small with less $$$ so I can spend a year or more getting a feel for the process and then later spend more money expanding if this is the lifestyle I decide to live. I'm scared to jump in bigger without knowing if it's something I would embrace wholeheartedly.

edit: looks like I can get much of the gear from stout tanks for a 3bbl system for around 20k. What I may end up doing is hiring the consultant and trusting him to steer me in the right direction for a system.

Maida- the Psycho Brew stuff is very appealing and the price might fall into my range even after adding the kettles.

Sethmg
My sons system is a 2.3 bbl system using an old Blichmann brew kettle with extension. And a Rubbermaid MT and HLT. We have on order a new Brew kettle and MT from stout and will be using a new plastic HLT.
For conicals he is using 7 Blichmann 42 gallon fermentors with the extensions making them into 96 gallons each. (about 2.3 bbl)

Brewing 2-3 times a week, kegging 30% and bottling the rest along with distribution he is flat out and still can’t keep up with demand.

I recommend that you go electric
Brewmation http://brewmation.com/ did our electric system and they have experience with Stout tanks.
Ask them for a price for a 3bbl Stout set up. (should be around $7000)

I know I will catch flack for this but the brewing is the easy part. BK, MT and HLT
Your fermentation conicals are the tricky part.

My son uses Blichmann 96 gallon fermentors with NO cooling system at all. His fermenting room is a constant 68-70 f and by choosing yeast that thrive at those tempters he maintains great consistency
See picture showing three of them

No walk in cooler, no glycol system, KISS it.
If you plan on making a larger, you need cooling

For single walled fermentors 2bbl is about the max. After that you need to go with double walled fermentors, glycol systems and controls. I believe Brewmation can give you a price for one.

Manual six head bottler is about $5000
Pumps, hoses, lab equipment another $5000

I would start with a Stout system, using (two) 2bbl fermentors and a 3bbl brewing set up. Start with that and make some beer that you like and can sell. It will take you at least 6 months to get things going, at that time you can upgrade to 3bbl conicals and then follow up that with a 7 bbl conical and double brew an over sized batch.
That gets you started out with good stuff and great growth potential.

You have a great number of brewers in Portland so I recommend visiting the small ones and spend a couple days with a brewer. Figure out what beers your want to sell, how to make them, and then your consultant can help you with the fit up.

Brewing can be a lot of fun. A properly run small system can make good money for a hard worker. Add a couple workers and you can still have fun but you need to hit that 7bbl system size to be profitable (some say 15bbl).

llll 563.jpg

Your fermentation conicals are the tricky part.

My son uses Blichmann 96 gallon fermentors with NO cooling system at all. His fermenting room is a constant 68-70 f and by choosing yeast that thrive at those tempters he maintains great consistency
See picture showing three of them

No walk in cooler, no glycol system, KISS it.
If you plan on making a larger, you need cooling

I'm very curious, what strain of yeast is he using?

Back