Wlp644

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had to guess I would say normal cell count. Other than that, yes it's hard to find any more info.

WLP644 is packaged as normal Saccharomyces and the pitch rates are the same as Saccharomyces strains.

Just make a big starter and go for it. It is a sac strain so as dstockwell said, its likely their standard sac count.

Thank you all for the replies.

In the meantime, I have contacted White Labs and they answered " With the WLP644 being a sacc strain, we ship it with an average of 2.5 billion cells per ML " .

Their packages come with 40-50 ML I think, so if fresh, that's around 100 billion cells.

I also have http://www.omegayeast.com/portfolio/14045-2/ and I'm thinking of pitching both into a Red IPA.

If this is your first time using 644, just try it alone and see. Its a completely different animal and I know i love the beers i have made with it. But if you pitch the brett too (not a bad idea at all!!) just make sure you understand the consequences and that you are contaminating your fermenter with bacteria. The benefit of using only 644 is you get the fruitiness of brett without the contamination (sound like one of the strains in the blend IS 644). I am sure pitching both would yield an amazing beer!

If this is your first time using 644, just try it alone and see. Its a completely different animal and I know i love the beers i have made with it. But if you pitch the brett too (not a bad idea at all!!) just make sure you understand the consequences and that you are contaminating your fermenter with bacteria. The benefit of using only 644 is you get the fruitiness of brett without the contamination (sound like one of the strains in the blend IS 644). I am sure pitching both would yield an amazing beer!

I have 5 fermenters, so this would not be an issue, as I can make one of those to be the Brett/experiments fermenter. The rest of the equipment, like auto-siphon can be easily cleaned or I can simply new for the " brett " beers.

But I will take the advice and ferment the first beer only using WLP644. From the description and the information I found on the Internet, of people using it and the final results, this is something I will enjoy tremendously.

Back