WLP644 Sachs Trois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HM-2

Life Begins at 10g/L
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone used WLP664 Saccharomyces "bruxellensis" Trois (AKA WHC Funky Pineapple) for a double NEIPA brew before?

I'm looking at brewing an Amarillo, Sabro and Simcoe double hazy and keen to push the pineapple esters that 644 can provide. I've used it once before but didn't really get much from it, though I did make a pretty big starter and didn't push temps much above 20°C. I've read varying reports that seem to suggest that giving 644 some abuse- underpitching and fermenting warmer in particular- can bring some of those flavours to the fore but obviously I don't want to push it so far it craps out or otherwise causes issues. Looking for any pointers in from experiences and previous use where there might be any!

I have a batch of "Pale Ale" that I fermented with the Omega version of this strain (Tropical IPA). The flavors of the beer are not bad, though it is hard to separate out yeast flavors from the hops. My issue was the 92.2 % attenuation that I got. I dropped my 1.054 wort down to 1.004, leaving me with a 6.5% beer. The final beer just ended up being a bit alcoholic and thin for what I was wanting. Maybe if I labeled it as a Brut IPA I would enjoy it more.

I believe this strain is in a couple commercial mixed blends. As far as in a Hazy, my beer dropped crystal clear after a few weeks in the keg. The recipe was not designed to be a Hazy, but had a decent amount of hops. I would be curious how well by itself WLP664 does with leaving stable haze in a beer.

Back