WLP570 and S-04 for a "Pink Elephant" Clone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyg_17543

Reaction score
Hi,

Here is a recipe I'm looking to brew this weekend. Question I have is that the recipe calls for pitching both WLP570 (Belgian Golden Ale) yeast and S-04 yeast in primary. It would seem that this is off character for this style of beer, but from the information I've been reading this recipe is supposed to have come directly from Huyghe. Has anyone had experience in doing this? Were the results favorable? I'd hate to get some off flavors but at the same time I don't want the beer to be missing something that this yeast combination may bring out. Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks,
tommyg_17543

Pink Elephant (all grain)

Ingredients:
6.5 lbs Belgian Pils
1 lbs Beet sugar
.75 oz Styrian Golding (60 min)
.5 oz Saaz (15 min)
7.2 gr Coriander (10 min)
2.4 gr Ginger (10 min)
2.4 gr Grains of paradise (10 min)
1 tsp Irish moss
S-04 and WLP570 yeasts

Batch size: 3 gal
OG: 1.073
ABV (est): 8.3%
SRM: 4
IBU: 22

Instructions:
Relatively complex 3-step mash. Started with 1:1 at 125F for 10 min, raised to 144F for 45 min, and raised again to 158F for 30 min. Finished with a 172F mashout followed by a 90 minute boil. The step mash should produce a highly fermentable wort. Combined with the pitching of two yeasts, I'm hoping to see a FG of 1.010 or lower. Conditioning will follow fairly traditional Golden Strong Ale brewing strategies - a short post-fermentation lagering phase followed by bottling with an additional dose of WLP570 and then a long warm condition.

Back