WLP566: Very Impressed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

folkysaint

Reaction score
My experience with WLP566 has been pretty nice.

Last Sunday (February 17th), I brewed an all-grain beer with WLP566. I don't know what to call it. It doesn't really fit into any particular style guideline, but I alternate calling it a Quad or an Imperial Saison. But, I am floored with this yeast.

From memory, the recipe is:

17 lbs of Belgian Pale
2 lbs of flaked wheat
2 lbs of CaraBelge
2 oz of Saaz hops (1 oz at 75 min and 1 oz at 45 min)

3 lbs of organic sugar (inverted and caramelized)

~10 fl oz of Pomegranate molasses

Because there was so much grain, my brewhouse efficiency was only around 60% (which I think is actually quite good, given the amount of grain). I didn't add any of the sugar to kettle (more on that later).

My OG was around 1.085 (if I remember correctly). I did a 2L starter with the WLP566 with only 1 vial. I hit it with pure O2 and used some yeast nutrient.

According to Mr. Malty, I didn't have a big enough starter, so I was worried, so I left out the sugar in the boil. Besides, I've read that WLP566 is good to around 8%, but people have used it up to 10%. So, I thought I would add the caramelized/inverted sugar in 3 one pound batches as fermentation slowed down.

During the boil, I added a good amount of yeast nutrient and then hit it with O2 for a minute or two before pitching the yeast starter. (I decanted a bit of the DME starter, but only a bit). I pitched in the evening on Sunday night and was intending to hit it with O2 again early in the morning when I woke up (before active fermentation started). To my surprise, it was already going pretty actively when I woke up.

I started off fermentation at around 68* F and then ramped up over a day or two to around 85* F.

After a couple of days, I added the first batch of caramelized/inverted sugar (weighed out around 1.1 lbs to account for crystallization, etc) and added to the fermenter. It took off again. I did it 2 more times. By day 10, the beer was pretty calm, but still had around 3 bubbles/min on the airlock.

I don't know what my actual OG would be with the added sugar, but I estimate it at around 1.110. I took a sample on day 10 and it was down to 1.013ish. I estimate that at just at or above 13% (depending on whether you multiply it times 131 or 135 or whatever). That gives me around 85-89% apparent attenuation.

Crazy.

I racked to secondary on to 10 fl oz of pomegranate molasses. I, of course, tasted the beer and it has no hint of fusels and it has a nice fruity flavor to it.

So, from around 1.110 to 1.013 in 10 days. Amazing yeast. Use it. (Sorry for being so long)

Back