WLP500 Monastery Ale Yeast..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetwort-Hopkins

Reaction score
Hey all, does anyone have experience with this yeast??

I recently used this strain on an RIS. I semi-cloned Dark Truth Stout by Boulevard; they were kind enough to send me their recipe and process!
They use a Trappist high gravity strain and ferment at 66F until it slows, then ramp up to 73F to finish.
I pitched a healthy starter and set my fridge to about 64F, and the carboy temp strip read 64F steadily throughout the first week. The yeast was rocking. Once it slowed, I raised the fridge temp to 68F. The following day, I took a gravity sample - 1.024 (down from 1.094).

I purposely shot for a slightly lower ferm temp to hopefully ward off any banana or fusel flavors. Well, it didn't work! There is an upfront banana flavor and aroma. Also, a slight fusel taste.

Is this unavoidable with this type of yeast? I plan to bulk age in a corny keg. Is there any hope that the banana will fade over a few months??

Yes, banana will fade over a few weeks time for the most part. Fusels will age into some (usually) fruity character - cherry - but can take many months. Be patient and you WILL be rewarded.

I use it on my Quad. I don't get the bananas. Maybe the cherries and wine soaked oak mask it or the bottle conditioning. It takes me from 1.094 to 1.014 every time so far. 6 weeks at mid-hi 60's.

I believe that is the Chimay strain. It may have dropped due to the cold. Try warming it up and see if it gets going. Sometimes Belgians don' t like to restart.

I recently used it on a 1.058 Belgian Pale. I haven't had much banana or any fusels with it at 68 for 3 days and then up to 72 to finish. I have enjoyed everything with that yeast.

This is the Chimay yeast. That seems like a high FG. I'd try warming it up a bit to see if it'll drop a bit further. I get a lot of banana when I ferment this warm but it'll age out in six months. This yeast is worth the wait for sure.

Back