WLP351 Bavarian Weizen Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcom1234

Reaction score
Just getting back into brewing and have a question about using the above mentioned yeast.
the optimal range stated on white labs site for this yeast is 66 to 70.
i know it will be fine to ferment at 64 but what effect will it have on my beer compared to if i was to ferment it at say 70?

All yeasts produce different flavors in beer and will usually produce more of one flavor over another at different temperatures. Arisen yeasts are known for bananas and cloves, clove usually is prominent at lower range and fruits towards the high end. Research the yeast and evaluate the flavors and characters imparted and then determine which profile you would like.

Some yeast will throw off more undesirable flavors at the highest tolerable limit.

i guess my confusion or unsureness is in how much does a few degrees change things... if its 66 instead of 64... is there a noticable difference.... and if so how much?

when i research the yeast i find the data to tell me the flavors and all but only gives me a small range for optimal fermentation.... if i drop 2 to 4 degrees from that optimal temp range, does it make a huge difference.... or is it minimal.

i guess im also trying to learn a bit... maybe quickly ... of how to change the flavor of this beer if i dont approve of it... or... if i like it but decide to change it to optimal temps... will it now change enough to notice.

im sure im over thinking it... i usually do lol

Back