WLP300 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkn09

Reaction score
I've brewed 8 different batches so far, but never made a hefeweizen before. I pitched WLP300 in a dunkelweizen last Friday (72 hours ago) with an OG of 1.041. It's fermented pretty strongly, but nothing over the top. I took a gravity sample just now and it's at my target FG of 1.010! Is it normal for this yeast to go nuts? It doesn't taste, smell, or look infected, and my temperature has been right at 70°. Thoughts?

It's certainly within reason to hit your FG within 72 hours at 70 degrees. I brewed a hefe using Wyeast 3068 (same strain as WLP300) last Monday and was able to keg it yesterday. I waited for the wort to drop to 62, so I didn't pitch until Tuesday, but it still had a solid 5 days fermenting until it hit 1.010 (slightly below the 1.012 estimated FG).

I think you're fine.

Ok. I'll check the gravity again this weekend and bottle if everything looks square. Thanks

Back