WLP090 San Diego Super

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivalry15

Reaction score
I made a few test batches with the 090 from WL.
I had to top up the fermenter after racking. Bottled about a month later and aged for a month before I tested it to see how it was progressing. I was very surprised by the residual sweetness and apple aroma that the cider gave off. I little bit of an aftertaste but not overly bad.

I am now about to make a 5 gallon batch in my temp controlled brew bucket to see if the yeast was just too tired to eat all the sugar or if it really does make a nice cider.

It was straight cider and yeast with nutrient and Pectic enzyme. No added sugar.

"Not overly bad" aftertaste in a test batch and you are going to use the same yeast to make 5 gallons? If its not "really good" I'd do more test batches. Just my 2 cents happy holidays. :mug:

It was during fall where we had hot and cold temps so the temp of the cider went crazy over a few days during the primary. it was only in a 1 gallon glass fermenter with no way to keep it temp stable. It tasted really good, but the aftertaste was yeasty so that may have been my fault pouring. Smell and initial taste were really good though so I want to give it one more try.

Back