WLP051 for a sierra nevada pale ale clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

refect

Reaction score
hello, today i am about to brew up a recipe out of my clone brews book for a seirra nevada pale ale clone. their recipe calls for wyeast 1056, but my LHBS doesnt carry wyeast anymore, only white labs. So i originally bought WLP001 because i was reading how similar the two are. When i arrived at the store to pickup my order, the guy working told me they are out of 001, but has 051, and that they are pretty similar. I got it in the starter right now and it smells pretty sulfurish. After reading a bit on 051 im not too sure how well it will work with this beer. I saw people say it finishes with a higher OG than 001 and has more mouthfeel. Any input on how this might turn out?

here is the recipe im working with...

4oz 60L crystal (steeped)
6.5# Light DME(60 mins)
4oz. malto dextrin(60 mins)
1oz chinook hops(60 mins)
1/2oz perle hops (15 mins)
1tsp irish moss (15 mins)
1oz cascade hops (1 min)
ferment with wyeast 1056 as first choice or wyeast 1098 for second choice. (im using WLP051)

ferment 7 days then transfer and dry hop 1/2oz of cascade.

WLP001=1056=SA-05. They aren't perfectly the same but they all came from the Chico strain that Sierra Nevada uses. If you can get to your LHBS before you brew, see if they have any SA-05 it's cheaper and as a dry yeast you don't have to worry about a starter.

If not WLP051 will work out pretty well, it's a pretty clean yeast as well--just a little fruitier.

I use cal V in my SV clone. It'll be awesome.

Awesome glad to hear that! I just brewed up the batch a few days ago. The sample tasted delicious when I took my OG. Just worried if this yeast would work well with this style. It smelled horrid in the starter. It took off quick once I pitched it, but man does it smell like bad sulfur as it ferments. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Hopefully there's no sulfur smell in the beer when it's time to drink it.

Back