WLP029 Kolsch Yeast -- no bubbles or krausen after 48 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilOssiferzStone

Reaction score
Just got a scratch n' dent chest freezer set up with a digital thermostat, and thought a good way to break it in would be with a good cool-fermenting ale. Got the wort cooled, pitched my yeast... let it sit out for a couple-three hours, and the vial felt room-temp to the touch... same as I've done with everything else I've ever used by White Labs, and they've never let me down...

Until now. There was zero activity in the waterlock, so I just peeled the lid off and took a look. Nothing. Nada. Sterilized everything and sealed it back up. Temp is set at 65; the temp on the adhesive thermometer says it's a bit below that.

Should I worry? How long should I wait? I understand waterlock activity is a rotten indicator of activity, but no krausen at *all* after 2 full days isn't something I've seen before, even with pilsens. Then again, it's my first kolsch. Is this typical?

The temp is likely considerably colder than you think it is. Let it warm up a bit and I think it will take right off. I've never had any yeast completely fail.

Just did my first lager and thought it hadn't started either since there was no activity like a typical ale. Checked gravity and it was working fine. Check with hydrometer or refractometer before you think you have a problem

The temp is likely considerably colder than you think it is. Let it warm up a bit and I think it will take right off. I've never had any yeast completely fail.

+1..This happens to me once and a while..I'll warm it up a bit and it takes off. Sometimes it still seems slow, but in the end it's where you need it to be.

You are supposed to keep your wort at 70-75 until fermentation starts. I had my kolsch at 70 until it started then I dropped it to 65F. It has been six days and it is beginning to flocculate now. Fermentation started in about 12-15 hours. I made a 8oz starter about 5 hours before pitching with some sugar and a little yeast nutrient.

WLP029 is not a cold fermenting ale yeast. I tried to ferement it at 57 and it dropped out way to early and did not finish the beer. I have found the happy spot for this yeast to be about 67-70 degrees. No lies. Warm that baby up.

Update: Bumped the temp up to 68 last night and just now took a peek. Water in the waterlock was at half-mast.... no active bubbling so far as I could see, but there *was* a nice healthy krausen. I guess it took off overnight.

Thanks for the help, gents.

You are supposed to keep your wort at 70-75 until fermentation starts. I had my kolsch at 70 until it started then I dropped it to 65F.

That's actually the opposite of what you should do. It's best to pitch colder and raise up, then to pitch warmer and cool down.

That's actually the opposite of what you should do. It's best to pitch colder and raise up, then to pitch warmer and cool down.

+1 I agree with this approach. The problem can be that if you start off at the higher temperatures, you may not be able to get the wort cooled down fast enough. Even using a fridge to cool it down might be too slow. Trust me on this. I've been there.:D

2nd update: Part of the problem was a leaky lid. I spent a whole three bucks and got a new one yesterday, sterilized the hell out of everything, and stuck it on... and within a minute the waterlock was gurgling merrily. The krausen was gratifyingly high as well -- great big thick sudsy thing with brown matted clumps of yeast scattered on top. Dialed the temp back down to the original 65 degrees and let it be.

When I checked this morning it was still blooping and blopping away.

I think my Kolsch is going to be just fine. ;)

Back