WLP023 and 7 gal Fermonster. Yeast wins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtk78

I'm here for the beer!
Reaction score
I am making a blueberry vanilla porter and made the porter (SG = 1.060) on Monday. I made a 1.4 litre starter with WLP023 on Dec 20th. Had it on the stir plate 36 hours and put it in the fridge. Pulled it out Monday during brewing, decanted the starter wort, and pitched it in my 7 gal Fermonster at 65F. The porter was aerated with oxygen for about 30 seconds prior to pitching.

I do my fermenting in a cubby off of my garage, have it in a swamp cooler with a temp controller and aquarium heater. Temp controller is set to kick on at 64 and off at 65. I will ramp it up as it goes on. I also have another tote over the top to keep the heat in, as the ambient is about 50F in the cubby right now. Good thing the top tote was on, because this is what I found 48 hours after pitching.

20170104_153553_zpswadmxzxp_edit_1483567278448_zpsecellk3y.jpg

Needless to say, I added a blow off. Didn't think I'd need one with a 7 gal fermenter.

Well now you have a lot of yeast you can harvest and store for your next batch!

Also, you might try fermcap or generic liquid simethicone drops to deter the foam.

I'm not comfortable or prepared to harvest yeast just yet. I actually need a bigger fridge for cold crashing starters, bottled beer, and mason jars of yeast.

My plan was to let it do its thing, add fruit this weekend, cold crash it about 3 weeks later and then bottle. It's settled down just a bit.

I usually keep bigger brews at 60 or even less during the most active phase. Works very well, even in a 6 gallon carboy.

Back