Wlp007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddBaggins

cervisiam vitae
Reaction score
I recently used this for the first time in an English Olde ale all grain.
I had on OG of 1.062 and after one week it was at 1.012 and totally clear. Today, after 3 weeks, I racked it to a keg, FG 1.01 and totally clear. It's been at 1.01 for a week now.
I'm brewing an Imperial Porter now and I'm gonna pitch it right on that yeast cake and see where it goes.
First time pitching right onto a cake I just racked off of.

Wow. I'm envious. I've used the strain twice now and been very disappointed. Based on the web sites description I've wanted this yeast to work for me so bad!

When you pitch on the old cake, get ready for fermentation to take off fast. 007 flocks out hard so give the carboy a swirl, kinda bust the cake up. I like 007, it's a nice house yeast.

Wow. I'm envious. I've used the strain twice now and been very disappointed. Based on the web sites description I've wanted this yeast to work for me so bad!

You must have had a bad vial. Had nothing but good result with this yeast. It works fast, floculate nicely and I can't say a bad thing about it.

It's a great yeast. I use it a lot on any beers that I need to have a nice clean flavor. Ferments fast, flocs out fast. Wham bam, thank you ma'am.

I just checked on the fermenter. There's some serious activity going on. Luckily, it didn't clog the airlock and blow the lid.

I know you've already done it, but in the future I would avoid pitching onto entire yeast cakes. It's almost always going to be an overpitch which can lead to off flavors and unhealthy yeast. When you pitch on an entire cake the yeast is already at a high enough population so they don't really go through the lag phase which is necessary to produce the good esters and flavors that you want as well as producing new healthy yeast.

If you want to use the yeast cake from a previous batch I would just remove about 3/4 of the cake and pitch on that. Or better yet, remove as much slurry as the Mr. Malty calculator says you need, dump the rest, and pitch the slurry.

All that said, there's plenty of people who have good results pitching on a whole cake. I just think you can get better results by not doing it.

MaddBaggins said:
I just checked on the fermenter. There's some serious activity going on. Luckily, it didn't clog the airlock and blow the lid.

Spoke too soon. I just finished bottling an Irish Stout and took the bottles out there for conditioning. The airlock was full of porter and the lid was bulged. I switched it out for some tubing and a growler of Starsan.

peterj said:
I know you've already done it, but in the future I would avoid pitching onto entire yeast cakes. It's almost always going to be an overpitch which can lead to off flavors and unhealthy yeast. When you pitch on an entire cake the yeast is already at a high enough population so they don't really go through the lag phase which is necessary to produce the good esters and flavors that you want as well as producing new healthy yeast.

If you want to use the yeast cake from a previous batch I would just remove about 3/4 of the cake and pitch on that. Or better yet, remove as much slurry as the Mr. Malty calculator says you need, dump the rest, and pitch the slurry.

All that said, there's plenty of people who have good results pitching on a whole cake. I just think you can get better results by not doing it.

That's good to know, since I've never done it before. Too late this time around. Normally, I just scoop some slurry and refrigerate it for the next batch. I do this for 2-3 batches then get a fresh vial.

Back