WLP005 vs WLP013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandlerBang

Reaction score
According to the White Labs website, the only difference between these two strains is 005 is highly flocculant where 013 is medium. What does that translate to in the end product?
I am thinking about use in an oatmeal stout and a chocolate stout. I used the 005 in this oatmeal stout recipe with great results. I still have some washed in the fridge so I figured I could use it for both beers. The recipe for the chocolate stout recommends the 013, but I think I'll use what i have for both.

Sorry, I suppose that read more like a statement than a question. What would the difference be if these two strains were used in identical recipes?

I'm always a fan of using what yeast I have on hand (and if it's appropriate for the style, all the better! ;) )

I have no experience with either of those strains, unfortunately. Maybe this bump will get ya somethin'.

I believe that jamil zainasheff gives a pretty good writeup or podcast on the 2 different strains. I'm a fan of WLP005 and just bottled a WLP013 to try it out. But what I've heard is that a split 10 gal batch will produce a drier tasting in WLP005 and sweeter tasting beer WLP013. I'm slowly going through all of the available ale yeast strains for IPA brews... Trying to find the exact yeast strain I always want to use.

BlindWillieBrewer said:
I believe that jamil zainasheff gives a pretty good writeup or podcast on the 2 different strains. I'm a fan of WLP005 and just bottled a WLP013 to try it out. But what I've heard is that a split 10 gal batch will produce a drier tasting in WLP005 and sweeter tasting beer WLP013. I'm slowly going through all of the available ale yeast strains for IPA brews... Trying to find the exact yeast strain I always want to use.

I'm looking (only sorta hard), but i haven't found anything about those two strains against each other yet. I thought the higher flocculant yeast, 005, would provide a sweeter finished product. But maybe that isn't the only.difference.

Maybe I have the yeast strains backward... The only real test is to do a split batch at same fermentation temps and see which one you prefer and keep notes.

I have used both for a few batches, wlp013 leaves a weird taste. They describe it as oak. I dont think so really. Its ok, I personally wont buy it again any time soon. I used it in a stout, porter and a brown ale.

Latest posts

Back