WLP004 Irish Red Ale - long fermentation time & forgot to aerate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBanana

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I brewed an Irish Red Ale last weekend. I pitched a 1L starter of WLP004 on Sunday and Sunday night I realised I forgot to aerate the wort before pitching! Whoops.

Airlock activity started about 24 hours after pitching and weirdly, five days later, is still going, although the bubbles are pretty slow (one per 20 seconds or so). I've never had such a slow ferment. I'm assuming it's because I forgot to aerate the wort.

First Gravity reading was about 1.046 and is now around 1.012.

I had a taste and I dont think it's infected but it's not very nice... kinda sour and a weird flavour although I do taste beer. I dont think it's infected. But its only 5 days in so probably shouldn't judge too much on the flavour just yet?

Thoughts anyone? Cheers!

It is young so the flavors haven't matured yet. It does sound like the fermentation went well though. Let time be your friend and roll with it...

I need to make an Irish red soon.

I don't think the "slow" fermentation (5 days is not bad) is a problem. I usually ferment my red for 3 weeks (sometimes 4), and I think it improves with a couple of weeks of cold conditioning. For bottling, that means a couple weeks warm and a couple weeks in the fridge. For kegging, once it is carbed, 2 weeks cold. It's disappointing until it hits a certain point.

Back