WLP001 Stalled at 1.020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrinkletusk

Reaction score
I did a quick search, but there were no specific hits for my particular problem with a (presumably) stalled WLP001 pitch.

1st ever stall after 17 BIAB brews

Grain bill:
4kg Pale Ale (8.8lbs)
500g Carahell (1.1lbs)
500g Aromatic (1.1lbs)

BIAB Mash: 66-67*c (151-152.5*f) for 1 hour. Temperature measured with a thermapen every 15 minutes.

Hops:
Total of 148g (5.28 oz) from 15min to 30 minute steep @ 60*c (140*f)

OG:
1.060 as measured at pitching temp with refractometer and hydrometer

Yeast:
WLP001 One litre starter from one vile with a best before date of mid July

Fermentation:
Brewbucket with thermowell & STC controlled fridge set to 19*c (66.2*f)

Yeast was pitched on Saturday about 1pm, krausen fully formed the next day, and now on day 4 krausen has gone and the beer is down to 1.020. I would have expected 1.015-1.014 at this stage, so I'm thinking it's stalled.

I've raised the temperature to 22*c (71.6*f), and swirled the fermenter. Is there anything else that can be done aside from doing the standard raise temp and swirl?

As I said, this is my first stalled batch, and I'm kinda freaking out, man.

I actually have a wheat beer in the fermenter right now that I brewed with WLP001, did a two liter starter with one vial that should've had good viability, use by date was a ways out, I don't remember exactly how far. It didn't show any visible signs of fermentation for three days. At the end of a week, I was still higher than my expected FG, coming in at around 1.018. Sometimes it takes a little longer than we want for the yeast to do their thing. Just be patient, if you're still at 1.020 after another 3-4 days, then you might look for a solution to stuck fermentation.

Do you do most brews with that much carahell? I think that's the problem. You've moved 40 points yeah, so I reckon it's not stuck. Chuck in some champagne yeast and see if that'll eat up some more goodies. Anyway don't freak out man. Just have a couple more froffies and I'm sure it'll be fine.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Definitely stuck. Still at 1.020 as of yesterday (four days), so dropped the temperature back down to 18*c (64.4*f) & pitched US04 as it's all that was on hand. I'll report back on the outcome.

KangerBrew6, I've brewed with 10% carahell numerous times before and it's never been a problem as I've always reached my target SG. My mash temp for this brew never got above 67*c (152.6*f), so I'm highly skeptical that it's finished due to too many long-chain sugars from either the carahell or mash temps.

According to BeerSmith you should be able to get it down to 1.011 if you mashed at 152. Hopefully the repitch will do it for you.

As a rule, I don't take the first FG reading until 10 days after pitching yeast (unless it's a lager and I want to catch it at 75% finished to properly do the d-rest).

Doing it sooner like this just causes needless frustration and even panic. Also, instead of tossing a packet of S-04 (which likely did no good) it would've been better, if needed, to gently swirl up some of the hundreds of billions of cells that are in the bottom of the fermenter.

Also, instead of tossing a packet of S-04 (which likely did no good) it would've been better, if needed, to gently swirl up some of the hundreds of billions of cells that are in the bottom of the fermenter.

Swirl and bump in temp done on Thursday, and 4 days later it was still at 1.020.

Just checked Mr. Malty...1.060 OG...White Labs with best by mid July...means packaged mid-March. Yeast only 52% viable, so maybe that's why? Assuming you did a stir plate starter, Mr. Malty calls for 2 vials in a 1 Liter starter. Probably the reason it finished higher than anticipated.

Just checked Mr. Malty...1.060 OG...White Labs with best by mid July...means packaged mid-March. Yeast only 52% viable, so maybe that's why? Assuming you did a stir plate starter, Mr. Malty calls for 2 vials in a 1 Liter starter. Probably the reason it finished higher than anticipated.

Yep, stir plate starter. Oh well, chalk it up to experience. Still at 1.020, so the US04 did nothing as BigFloyd thought it would. It's getting packaged on Saturday, and then onto the next brew. It's still beer, and it'll still be going down my gullet.

Check your thermometer in an ice bath to make sure it reads 32. It could be the cause of the problem. I would expect your beer to finish at 1.010 to 1.012.

How confident are you in your temperature measurements, and be honest with yourself? BIAB, right? Are you stirring often? applying heat to maintain temp or not? stirring before taking a temp reading? Using a thermapen...how and where in the mash? any pH readings to verify in an appropriate range for conversion? Not pointing fingers but you see posts all the time that essential say "it didn't work and I did everything perfectly".

You're at about 9% crystal malt and 9% aromatic. That's a lot and doesn't help with lowering your FG. it could just be a combination of temp and unfermentables. I doubt it's the yeast. underpitching, if its old lets say, will just make it take longer and it won't be off by this much. swirling, repitching i doubt will matter much. Chico isn't a fast flocc. Fermentation didn't stall...it's done.

How confident are you in your temperature measurements, and be honest with yourself? BIAB, right? Are you stirring often? applying heat to maintain temp or not? stirring before taking a temp reading? Using a thermapen...how and where in the mash? any pH readings to verify in an appropriate range for conversion? Not pointing fingers but you see posts all the time that essential say "it didn't work and I did everything perfectly".

You're at about 9% crystal malt and 9% aromatic. That's a lot and doesn't help with lowering your FG. it could just be a combination of temp and unfermentables. I doubt it's the yeast. underpitching, if its old lets say, will just make it take longer and it won't be off by this much. swirling, repitching i doubt will matter much. Chico isn't a fast flocc. Fermentation didn't stall...it's done.

Yep, BIAB. Temp was measured every 10-15 minutes with good stir (I'm well aware of temperature stratification within the mash now). Mashed in at 67*c/152.6*f and never got higher, but did get down to 65.5*c/149.9*f after 20 minutes of mashing in.

Stovetop burner was only on for a minute or two every 10-15 minutes to replace lost temp. Mash was thoroughly and continuously stirred while heating to make sure I didn't overshoot 67*c. The thermapen was placed as deep within the centre of the mash as possible while stirring.

No PH readings were taken, but salt and acid malt additions were calculated with the brewer's friend calculator based on my full water profile from Scottish Water and a Salifert Alkalinity test (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001EJ3DOG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) taken with the water used on brewday. Estimated PH of 5.4.

Oh well, onward and upward. Vienna and Simcoe SMaSH is next.

Last edited by a moderator:
pH could have been off. You may not have needed much salt for the mash. Consider picking up some pH strips and don't add salts until after checking pH after 10 minutes of mashing.

If its too sweet, maybe make a dry beer to blend: brew like a one gallon batch with 100% pale ale, mash at 145F, hop the same schedule as last batch.

Back