WLP 802 for Marzen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkarpouzie

Reaction score
Has anyone used WLP 802 for a Marzen? Curious to hear anyone's thoughts on what to expect if I do.

No , sorry . I've used 820 only . Looking at the 802, it has Marzen listed . Hopefully, someone here has tried it and will be better help.

Im sure it could make a fine marzen if you managed fermentation appropriately but it wouldn’t be among my top choices. Have you used 802 before? Any reason you are considering a czech strain for a german beer style? In my experience, 802 throws a lot of diacetyl…even when pitched big, cold and with lots of O2. You could probably mitigate it by doing an aggressive 60s temp D rest and/or using ALDC enzyme but why run the risk of residual diacetyl in a beer style where absolutely none is acceptable?
My 2 cents…1st choice would be 835 since its a seasonal release thats out right now and is an awesome all around strain. 2nd - WLP 833 or Wyeast 2206

Im sure it could make a fine marzen if you managed fermentation appropriately but it wouldn’t be among my top choices. Have you used 802 before? Any reason you are considering a czech strain for a german beer style? In my experience, 802 throws a lot of diacetyl…even when pitched big, cold and with lots of O2. You could probably mitigate it by doing an aggressive 60s temp D rest and/or using ALDC enzyme but why run the risk of residual diacetyl in a beer style where absolutely none is acceptable?
My 2 cents…1st choice would be 835 since its a seasonal release thats out right now and is an awesome all around strain. 2nd - WLP 833 or Wyeast 2206
Thanks. I never used 802 before but have it on hand so thought I'd see what others thought about it. I'll look for 833 or 835 for my Marzen.

I've used 802 in a Pils/Saaz smash. I will say it does have a Czech-iness to it. It has a light slickness you would expect in a Czech pils (think Pilsner Urquell). Outside of that it's a clean yeast. I personally wouldn't use it for a Marzen. Omega Bayern works great and I imagine WLP820 would work well also. A perfect demonstration of what I'm talking about with WLP802 is this beer

https://faubourgbrewery.com/our-beers/faubourg-lager
I don't know if that's what they use but it's darn close. Hopefully that helps!

Back