WLP 645 (Claussenii/ Brett C) – Flavor profile impact from cold lag phase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suitbrewing

Reaction score
Greetings to all!
I asked the same question in an old threat, but had no feedback so I am reposting here.

In short the question is whether my 100% Brett Saison using Michael Tonsmeires recipe below will be adversely affected from my mistake of pitching at 63F (17c) and keeping it there for the initial 10 hours (lag phase). I then raised to 80F (27c) over the course of the next 24 hours.

The recipe:
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2007/02/1st-100-brettanomyces-brew.html

Some more detail:
I pitched the yeast after injecting 1,5min pure oxygen @ 63F (17c).
I went for a lager like pitching rate so I did a twostep starter (1,5L each). (around 350 billion cells).

When I checked (10 hours after the pitch) the airlock was already bubbling.

By “adversely affect” I mean lucking Brett character (fruit and funkiness) or even causing off flavors from the sharp increase from 63F to 80F over a relatively short period of time.

btw I can provide an update with my actual results further into the process!

I'm sure it will be fine and Brett likes to clean up after itself. Be patient if it's a bit rough around the edges at first though.
I've only ever done 1 100% Brett b beer and it had a soapy taste for the first couple of months, disappeared completely after that though.

I would package in thick bottles as well as my beer started creeping down in gravity points after a couple of months (maybe a minor infection? I'm not sure).

Back